Owe income tax

States

I find myself is some considerable trouble. I owe Revenue 36K for non payment of taxes for 2008.
I do not have the means to pay this. What options do I have? Has anyone found themselves in this situation and what advice can they give.

Thanks

Revenue will enter instalment arrangements on unpaid taxes however they charge interest at some 9%. They also have maximum terms for repayments of usually 3 years. You may find it cheaper to try and finance the payment via normal bank loan and pay Reenue in full. However if that route is not open then you need to discuss the matter with Revenue. If you have a tax adviser then ask them , they will have experience of such matters and can negotiate with Revenue for you.

i worked part time as a taxi driver in 07/08 but never did income tax returns,Didnt really make much money so stopped driving the taxi. i was paying tax at source from another job ,will they eventually catch up with me or do they just go after the bigger fish .... regards ,a concerned tax dodger

i worked part time as a taxi driver in 07/08 but never did income tax returns,Didnt really make much money so stopped driving the taxi. i was paying tax at source from another job ,will they eventually catch up with me or do they just go after the bigger fish .... regards ,a concerned tax dodger

Revenue are interested in all income not taxed at source. As to whether they will catch up in your case is anyone's guess. The law provides that you are obliged to file a return when you have such income and it's not up to Revenue to catch up with you. Whether you made much or not is irrelevant.

Hi,

I claimed a tax credit for past few years that i wasnt entitled to - just nevr got around to stop claiming it!! I got a call from Revenue to clarify status last week. Anyone know what best course of action is in ths instance??

Hi,

I claimed a tax credit for past few years that i wasnt entitled to - just nevr got around to stop claiming it!! I got a call from Revenue to clarify status last week. Anyone know what best course of action is in ths instance??

Obviously the credit will be withdrawn from now on. They will probably seek to review the years back during which it was claimed but should not have been. Any underpayment will usually be collected via PAYE tax credits in next year or two.

Thanks for the response...one other question, will they apply penalties and interest on the money owing or for this type of offence do they always just deduct tax credits?? its a fairly substantial amount that i think i owe ....approx 4 years at approx €1600 per year!!!

Thanks Again

Thanks for the response...one other question, will they apply penalties and interest on the money owing or for this type of offence do they always just deduct tax credits?? its a fairly substantial amount that i think i owe ....approx 4 years at approx €1600 per year!!!

Thanks Again

one other question for you....is it wise to go to a solicitor to make a prompted disclosure on my behalf??

The PAYE unit may sometimes request payment by cheque if the underpayment is large. They do not generally charge interest as such is not generally provided for on PAYE cases. However if there is any suspicion of deloberate default or negligence on the part of the taxpayer it may have implications. If in doubt I'd contact a tax professional.

we just had a general chat about it and he said the best course was to just ring them and explain your circumstances...rang today and was talking to a friendly girl and told her all....she is going to send me out balancing statements for the past number of years....i will be glad to have it all sorted..

Back