Overtime

tyrell

Anybody know the law on this.
My wife is asked only now and again to do a few hours overtime.
The company have a policy that they do not pay for overtime but give
time off instead.
Is this legal or can she request payment instead. What are the requirments of a employee to do overtime. In her contract it states that she will be required to work overtime now and again.
Do you have to work outside you normal hours if requested. Dont get me wrong the Company she works for is a good company and their view is that all work should be done between 9-5.30. Sometimes a customer may request out of hours work.,

Tyrell,

Depends on Wifes terms and conditions (Contract) , time - in - lieu is legal, and employer does not have to pay OT if not contractually stipulated.

You say it is in her contract, has she asked why no payment is forthcoming.

Does contract say " you may occasionally be required to work past normal working hours" , does it mention payment for these hours .......

It would depend on her contract of employment as a lot of salaried jobs are paid for the job rather than the hours and if occasional extra hours are required to do the job this is often unpaid.

In my job we do not get official time in lieu or overtime for working extra if needed but our boss may let us go early occasionally or not mark our holiday car for a 1/2 day if we have worked up a lot of extra hours.

Back