overseas motor insurance

M

micksclly

Hi
I am Irish and will be driving a lot of the time on main land Europe over the next year due to work, I am hope to buy a left hand drive jeep in Holland or some where and pay the VRT and have Irish plates, I will be using this jeep in Ireland, UK, but more and more of the time in Germany, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria due to work, I was wondering if there is any insurance company that will cover this jeep in these countries. Yes I know you will say buy a jeep in one of these countries, but I will be moving around so much and I will be driving to the UK and Ireland many times over the year as well.
I have seen many Irish reg cars and jeeps in my travels in main land Europe and Eastern Europe over the years been driven by Irish, some cars are in main land Europe for months, looking to know who the insurance company's are that will cover me.

Re: oversea's motor insurance

all irish issued policies as well as all EU issued policies give basic minimum cover in all other EU countries. Should you require F&T or Comprehenxive there may be an extra charge, but no charge for the basic cover. Having said that, if you are spending most of the time in these countruies, why not insure in one of them, with a reputable insurer. it should be cheaper than insuring in Ireland

Thanks for your reply,
So if I import this jeep into Ireland, will I insure it here for a few weeks and then drive to Romania for example discontinue the Irish insurance and insure it in Romania for the rest of the year and drive it around Europe with Romanian insurance and an Irish number plate.
I did ring my people in Romania and they said it can be done no problem that is get insurance in Romania with an Irish number plate, would all be ok??.

if you are resident in ireland, then there is the VRT issue to consider. There is also the Left Hand Drive issue.

If only using in Ireland for a very short time, would it be possibel for you to insure in Romania and drive here?

it would be cheaper, but as I do not know your residency status I cannot comment on the VRT issue

Ok, I am nearly a Romanian tax based now, just sorting out the paper work, so I will insure the irish reg jeep in Romania and drive it over here when I get home, as I said I will be in many countries, but alot of this time in Romania. I think this is good.
any other things I missed on the insurance issue or the Irish reg

****You have two threads with the same post on both***It makes it hard to follow a thread if it is going on seperately under abother heading.

Its much more expensive to insure a left hand drive car in Ireland -where it will have to be insured. This is a pan european cover, but there may be specific restrictions on Bulgaria and Romania.
I drove a RHD jeep in europe a lot an with the extra height its not as unsafe as say a sports car. Its arkward at toll plazas and carparks.
My advice would be to buy second hand and then pay the VRT here-the OMSP of a LHD drive car would be(or should be less) than the same vehicle in RHD. I say this because if you were to sell a LHD in Ireland it would be sold at a discount to RHD-there is not much market for them. As SIMI provide the details to REV for OMSP it would be double standards to have them the same.

Back