Overnight subsistance allowance?

gg66

If an employee away from the office on business for over 24 hours they are entitled to a subsistance allowance.

This can be done based on an unvouched basis using civil service rates for overnight.

my question is, if I stay with a friend rather than pay for a hotel can I still claim the overnight allowance?

Your employer is not obliged to pay the civil service rates-unless it's civil service!

There are also different rates-what one would you pick? Lowest , middle or highest tariff?

Will your employer permit unvouched expenses? They can insist on invoices:receipts.

If you have no overnight expense is it wise to claim for one? What if the employer seeks the receipts to back up the claim?

Would it not be better to address the issue with the employer first?

Are you the employer too?

If an employee away from the office on business for over 24 hours they are entitled to a subsistance allowance.

This can be done based on an unvouched basis using civil service rates for overnight.

my question is, if I stay with a friend rather than pay for a hotel can I still claim the overnight allowance?
If it is on an unvouched basis, then I can’t see a problem.

I worked for a company where I was required to stay away from home occasionally for a few nights, civil service rates were applied, some of my colleagues stayed in hotels, B&B’s, hostels, tents, with friends etc, but we all got the same civil service rates regardless as this payment was on an unvouched basis.

A decent employer will be flexible on this. Is it a one-off night or a regular occurrence?

Employer is flexible and will apply unvouched civil service rates.

However, I should have stated that I'm seeking clarification on how Revenue treats this?

Employer is flexible and will apply unvouched civil service rates.

However, I should have stated that I'm seeking clarification on how Revenue treats this?

Revenue don't care where you stay, as long as the overnight is genuine. But that's for your employer to demonstrate, as they're the ones administering the PAYE system.

You claim subsistence or vouched. Once you go down one route that's it, you can't chop and change to suit yourself.

The agreed method should be clearly stated in your employment contract.

If you decide to stay in a tent, that's your own business!! You get the agreed rate once you demonstrate period of absence not that costs were incurred. Remember the subsistence rate is to cover accommodation, food, etc so you are not making a packet on it.

The point of the civil service rates is that they can't exceed this amount or the whole amount becomes taxable.

Back