Overcharged legal fees now returned- can I claim interest?

M

MarySmyth

We were overcharged legal fees c. €15k, which have now been finally returned 4 years later. Can we make a claim for interest via Small Claims Court or similar?

We were overcharged legal fees c. €15k, which have now been finally returned 4 years later. Can we make a claim for interest via Small Claims Court or similar?

I not sure of answer but I would be extremely happy to have been returned the overcharged legal fees

Have you asked the person who overcharged you to pay interest?

More than likely a legal question- Would a solictor if overcharged in error return the interest, If money was in client account they would i think

Someone with legal background may explain more

The law works in mysterious ways.
The issue is not whether you can do it but should you.
What will it cost to purse this vs what are the chances of winning.

ONQ.

Overcharged fees return- without interest

Thank you all for feedback- i am submitting small claims request- 2k is under amount of interest- but better than nothing! Besides that, I see that legislation is in place for solicitors to account for interest in client account- does this apply here? For example, part of fees overcharged, was 10k+ that was incorrectly accounted for when I sold house- so eventually when files were double checked- this was returned 2/3 years later. Actual fees returned amount to c. 4k.

Did you request the interest from the solicitor in question? I'm almost sure they're obliged to return it if it's requested by the client but not if it's not requested.

Overcharged legal fees returned- requesting interest

No didn't request- I expected that the Law Society would have automatically directed the relevant solicitor.

Back