Outlook 2007 constantly crashing

amgd28

Hope some of you might be able to help here. Yesterday outlook started acting up, freezing, then prompting me to restart the application. Would work fine for a couple of minutes, but it has progressed to a stage where it has barely started and it hangs. It directed me to debug in Visual studio 2005, and the breakpoint is:

Unhandled exception at 0x6b7b894f in OUTLOOK.EXE: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xbfd1b838

Running vista, new laptop (approx 2 months old), well specc'd. Personal.pst is fairly big (>2GB) which may be some of the problem, but I can't even get in to reduce it by archiving.

Any thoughts?

Installed anything at all in the 2-3 days before this started happening or put new drivers on for anything, even completely unrelated to outlook?

can you open it with a new .pst and see if issue still occurs?

I think theres a 2GB limit to PST files, once it gets bigger than it can go gaga. Theres a ton of info on it on the web. I've never had the problem myself or tried any solutions. I think it relates to older version of Outlook files. If you convert the PST to Office 2007 format you might get around it. Obviously you should have multiple backups of the file before trying any fixes. Burn a copy of it onto CD. etc.

[broken link removed]

Back