Oslo - tips for a weekend break

doogo

Hi there,
Anyone been to Oslo and can recommend accom, restaurants, sightseeing etc.
travelling with sister and mother later in the summer and any info / experiences would be greatly appreciated

ta

Absolutely second that - cost me a small fortune for a weekend - would actually never go back because it was ridiculously expensive for everything

I'd 'third' that.
If you like beer, better arrange it first with your bank.

It's a great city. A bit pricey, but if you steer clear of the tourist traps, you'll be fine.

I stayed in the Thon Hotel Slottsparken in Jan 2007. The rooms are like mini apartments- you get a sitting room, kitchenette (full all necessary appliances) and bedroom. The advantage is that you can buy in food and cook if you wish, thereby saving yourself some money if you find it expensive. It's a lovely hotel, very central and also reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Don't know if you have time or inclination to do the 'Norway in a nutshell' train trip to Bergen and back (8 hrs one way) From is definately a 'must' stop off if you do this train ride.

In Oslo, the Munch museum is a good stop - he did have a lighter side than 'the scream', ;) lunch or coffee is good there as well.

The Kontiki museum is very good (there are lots of other attractions around this part of town) accessible by bus and return trip by boat. The bay is very beautiful.

Reindeer steaks? A must. And don't forget to buy your reindeer skin :)

Yes, it's expensive, but you probably will only go once.

I live in Oslo.

It is expensive but if you want to do it on the cheap its possible. Avoid eating and drinking out. Difficult to get accommodation in the summer, book early and shop around. Otherwise prices are similar to Dublin prices.

If your here for just a weekend, you will most likely only get to see Oslo. Or at best take in the Norway in a nutshell tour (round trip bus, train, boat trip from Oslo to Bergan) that takes in a lot of the postcard scenery.

If your here longer there are plenty of sights to see, only problem is everywhere requires a lot of driving to get to.

On the west coast you can see

Prekistolen (located near stavanger) 2 hour hike to the top.. http://www.preikestolen.no/
Bergen - Nice town on west coast. http://www.visitbergen.com/default.asp?sp=NO
Trollsteigen, road that winds down mountain
Gerianger fjord (located between bergen and trondheim) .. post card fjord
Lofoten (near Bodø) --

East
Oslo - Frogner park, nobel peace prize museum, ski jump, frognerseteren, arker brygre, new opera house (only open a few months), munch museum. www.visitoslo.no, www.norway.com.

South
The south is nice too, its more sea side towns though, not the kind of thing norway is known for..

These are the big ones, Its alot of driving with a lot of mountains in the way..

Ryanair fly into Torp an airport 1.40 mins by bus south from Oslo. Usually the cheapest tickets but the times of the flights and the time it takes to get to the airport means you loose a day traveling. SAS fly to an airport 20 mins (by fast train) from Oslo. Faster but more expensive.

kk

There is no getting away from it , Oslo is a very expensive weekend option , for an OK city. Bergen and Stavanger are more exceptional cities IMHO . I spent 2 weeks in Norway last year , you can book train trips at "minipris" €20-25 for Bergen- Oslo , I travelled round the south coast to Stavanger , and then took a ferry to Bergen , Car rental for 7 days was €140- ( incredible scenery) , I stayed in B&B and twice in hostels . Train back to 'Oslo again at Minipris . To keep the price reasonable you have to book everything in advance . The Norwegian countryside is simply stunning , and Oslo is ok.

there is an advance ticket for nok200-
http://www.bbnorway.com/index2.htm
http://www.bbnorway.com/hosts/10.thethompsonsbnb.html best B&B lady on the planet .

doogo, one of the mini side tours, off the Oslo Bergen rail trips is 'Fram' not 'From' as I spelt it originally. Great time of year to go, it's still a bit chilly though, especially in the country side.

Is Oslo Still Mad Expensive for a Weekend Break

Well digging this up from the archive

Thinking of going to Oslo in March for Paddys Weekend. Is it still a mad expensive city? Have done the other Nordic Cities and Finland was the most expensive is this on a Par or a bit more. Also anyone know if it will be Baltic Cold in March or picturesque. Have done the Google search and I get the sense its still expensive but then again so is Dublin

Anyone been there recently and got any tips on accommodation, places to eat drink and to see

Back