Oslo, Norway for Dec 2010

bond-007

I am travelling to Norway in for a concert there next year, and I need some advice on booking flights. I reckon Ryanair are the best bet. I has a few questions.

1. How soon can I book a flight for Dec 1st returning the 3rd Dec next year?

2. Is it easier or even cheaper to go DUB-STN with Ryanair and then from STN to TRF? Or would DUB-TRF direct be the best option cost wise?

Thanks in advance

It's usually cheaper and a lot more convenient to fly with SAS into Oslo itself. Torp is about 2 hours away from the city, worse if the weather is bad because it's a bus journey rather than a train journey. Return flights with SAS are usually no more than €120 - €150, obviously depends on the days/time you're flying.

Thanks for that.

Just had a quick look at SAS, their schedule is only available till Nov 2010 at present. I tried a few random dates in November and the costs seem very high even to fly midweek. I suppose these may drop closer to the time?

Just looking again, and it seems that every Wednesday the flight costs €147 and for Thursday it is half that at €70 odd. The Friday return is €70. The concert is on the Thursday the 2nd in Oslo (for a bonus point can you guess which band?) which to save money would mean flying out the same day and back early the next morning. Not ideal.

Try using this web page lot cheaper than SAS, dont bother with ryanair we flew with then a couple of year ago and the airport is a good 2 hours train ride away from oslo.

I did Oslo the Ryanair way last November. Yes, Torp is two hours away by bus. But even though I was there just for a weekend, somehow that didn't bother me much. The bus was waiting as our flight arrived, everyone got on and it took us straight to central Oslo. It takes some time but it's easy and hassle-free. On the way back, the bus got us to the airport with loads of time to spare. My guess is the idea was for us to spend that waiting time buying food and drink at overpriced airport establishments. What we did instead was go outside and play with the snow :). How often do you get to play with snow in Ireland? Never. Right. So, we took the opportunity to do it in Norway... time well spent I reckon.

The concert is on the Thursday the 2nd in Oslo (for a bonus point can you guess which band?)

As Norway is generally best known for 1) Aha 2) a whole rake of ultra heavy satanic metal bands, I shudder to think.

Also known for fairly off the wall art rock or prog stuff so I'm hoping is something like that instead. But of course highly likely they don't even come from Norway...

But travelling to Norway for any gig is pretty loyal...AAARRRGGGGH I give up who is it?

It's a-ha :) They are breaking up after their Oslo concerts. 2 of the 3 concerts are sold out already.

There ya go! In fairness I've heard they are great live too - Enjoy it.

Dec 2010 - there's forward planning!

We flew Dublin-Torp with Ryanair last month. The flights cost €230 for two of us. The bus transfer took 1.5hrs each way and about €35pp return, so factor that in your costs.

We found Oslo quite expensive in general. €15 for a Burger King meal and about €8 for a 400ml glass of beer, so bring plenty of Krone. We found it difficult to get a city centre hotel so book early. There was some football cup on the weekend we were there so that may have had a bearing on it.

The purpose of our visit was the same as yours and the gig was fantastic:D. Enjoy!

Torp is included in most of Ryanair's promotions. Like right now where you can score seats for €5. It can get very pricey - but with a bit of luck, you can get ridiculously cheap flights, even close to the date.

I will have to wait a fair while as Ryanair don't allow you to book that far in advance.

Back