Orange Order marching season

Everyone ? Boasting ?

No matter what stats or reports you cite for or against this country's level of tolerance for diversity, NI will always fare worse.

This will endure, until the First Minister's wife stops spewing homophobic bile, until large swathes of its citizens don't feel a need to be abroad during marching season, until people like Edwin Poots cannot get a mandate from citizens.

A poster made reference to 'intolerance from northern ireland polluting the republic of ireland'.

I was merely stating that this jurisdiction is already well polluted with racist intolerant attitudes.

Is this the super tolerant Republic everyone's boasting about?

I wasn't boasting about anything but in my experience, and from listening to the news, I am of the opinion that there's less intolerance in this part of the Island.
We can all give [broken link removed] but there's no problem with protestants marrying Catholics, no real problem with homosexuality and less racism and xenophobia, though that's still a major problem here.

there's no problem with protestants marrying Catholics, no real problem with homosexuality and less racism and xenophobia, though that's still a major problem here.

These aren't major issues in Northern Ireland either, notwithstanding occasional ugly exceptions the type of which arise everywhere.

These aren't major issues in Northern Ireland either, notwithstanding occasional ugly exceptions that arise everywhere.

By occasional ugly exceptions, do you mean like when the First Minister defended his wife's comments on homosexuality by declaring it was God that declared homosexuality to be an abomination (think that was the term) and not his wife?

By occasional ugly exceptions, do you mean like when the First Minister defended his wife's comments on homosexuality by declaring it was God that declared homosexuality to be an abomination (think that was the term) and not his wife?

Yes, but you can't legislate away people's prejudices and private opinions. I would hesitate to claim that our own politicians are morally superior to those of another jurisdiction.

Also there are lots of people other than Catholic bishops against or delaying increased mixed schooling. All for church bashing but there is enough stuff to beat them up with without having to make stuff up.
There may be others other than Catholic bishops against mixed schooling, I'm only pointing out that the Catholic Church is firmly against it and has been for many years in my experience of growing up in the North and am certainly not 'making stuff up'.

I can't quote the others who may be against it, but I am positive on the Catholic Church's position on the issue. In fact, you confirm yourself above that the Catholic bishops are in fact 'against or delaying increased mixed schooling'.

Back