opportunity to phase out RTÉ

Saying people who buy products that are advertised on rte are paying for rte is stretching it. People buy because of the advert, not the station that it is on. Advertisers buy space based on viewer figures.

The licence fee, a tax by another name, is an anachronism that should have been eliminated years ago. This hare brained proposal is a crude attempt to extend it.

RTE is a clear candidate for privatisation. The inefficiencies are just apalling. Could you imagine a privately held company paying their "stars", like Kenny or Tubbo over €500k per year? Or equally, paying for not one, but two, concert orchestras?

I dont know about phasing our RTE completely, but do think the time has come for radical reform.

The need for a five member band for example,every Friday night must be costing a fortune, Im sure there are plenty of bands who would be more than willing to do this for the exposure alone..

The pay of the "stars" should also be looked at again..

One of their "stars" who moved from TV3 , mentioned that on her move to RTE,that there were thousands employed there as opposed to TV3 who have about 150 people!!

RTE show some amont of rubbish.

Why you need a licence fee - if you don't watch RTE.

2fm don't play much Irish music.

RTE "stars" have wound up their programmes for the summer.

A household levy is another stelth tax.

Another Shameless action by this government

Sadly, that's the public sector all over.

Can you back this statement up with some source information please? I'm fed up listening to you spouting rubbish about the public service and the fact you continue to do so without ever providing links.

One of their "stars" who moved from TV3 , mentioned that on her move to RTE,that there were thousands employed there as opposed to TV3 who have about 150 people!!

TV3 runs 2 tv stations and it does so on a skeleton staff. The bulk of its programming seems to be bought in rather than self-produced; I've never seen anything on 3e that is even Irish, let alone produced by TV3. Although to be fair, TV3 has certainly increased its home made programming over the years; Xpose, Vincent Brown and Midday for example. (And I enjoy the Sunday night Sex and the City Marathons on 3e:eek:).

RTE by contrast operates 2 tv stations aswell a number of radio stations - radio 1, 2fm, lyric fm, radio na gaeltachta and a number of digital stations such as 2Xfm etc. It stands to reason that there are much greater numbers employed in RTE. Lots of programmes are produced directly by RTE - The LLS, Saturday Night Show, Prime Time, the Frontline etc and it gives greater airtime to other shows made in Ireland that may not be great rating getters but fit with its public service broadcasting obligation such as EcoEye.

I for one would prefer to pay the licence fee and be able to see good quality, Irish programmes such as Prime Time Investigates, Capital D, Against the Head, Martin's Mad About Fish etc etc. Without RTE, I'd be stuck with the like of Hollyoaks/Emmerdale/Law and Order/Britains Got Talent:eek:. I'd also rather pay the licence fee than see the place closed down and thousands of workers plus god knows how many ancillary staff on the dole.

Without RTE, I'd be stuck with the like of Hollyoaks/Emmerdale/Law and Order/Britains Got Talent:eek:. I'd also rather pay the licence fee than see the place closed down and thousands of workers plus god knows how many ancillary staff on the dole.

Law and Order is far superior to any crime drama RTE produced.

Prime Time goes off for summer while Tonight with VB does not.

Most of the stuff on RTE is not public service broadcasting.

What we get is Liveline, Wagons Den, Desperate Housewifes etc.

The Late Late Show is only a vehicle for people selling stuff.

It is as bad a QVC.

We don't need RTE in order to run the country.
Either privatise it or axe it completely.

A similar approach needs to be taken with all the other luxuries we've accumulated over the years.

Only when this is done should there be new levies and taxes.

Back