opinions on this 320d guys?

I drive a 04 320D myself and love it, great power, great economy. Have it for 18 months now, and haven't had one ounce of trouble with it. Not sure on price of the ones you mentioned, I paid €15,500 for mine in the UK in June 08, this included VRT and transport costs to get it home. Mine is well spec'd with full beige leather interior. Have you tried www.usedcarsni.com or www.cargiant.com? I have no connection to either website.

OK, I don't know much about the 320D except that I was about to buy one until I discovered that this model is prone to repeated turbo failure which costs ooo's to repair.........

Now some people will tell you that this was all fixed from year 2003/2004 onwards but a reliable BMW technician informed me that this is not really the case.

Seemingly the turbo can leave you stranded anytime anywhere.

Google it and you will find out more.

i have a 2004 320d sport myself for last two years, i cant not speak highly enough about them, great to drive, mine is doing 45mpg. the two you have listed seem expensive to me especially in the current climate, my only tip is not to get 18" alloys as they are very hard on the road. i have just turned 121k on mine and it has not missed a beat. my understanding is that the turbo is a problem but was rectified on the later 2004 cars.

what mileage would you expect to get out of a 320d or 530d chaps? im looking but am fearfull of buying one that has anywhere over 80K miles on it? is this just the inbred fear of a car with over 100k on the clock amongst us here in ireland :)

Hi,
I purchased a 320D in Scotland in March, Oct 07, with 9000 miles on clock. It was basically a new car with BMW warranty until Oct 2010. Fully spec'd, cream leather etc. I paid €19,000 euros and then paid €6000 VRT. Thanks to the posts on this web site, I appealed my VRT and received €1300 back!

Love the car and can give you details of dealership if required.

if you take a look at english autotrader it will give you the type of mileage a 320d can do, there are ones on it with over 200k on the clock.

HI GUYS JUST TO UPDATE ON MY SEARCHINGS I COULD BE LEANING TOWARDS THIS AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE 320D.
ITS A 530D AND ID LOVE SOME OPINIONS ON WHAT YOU THINK? (sorry bout caps)

[broken link removed]

or

thanks a million

The car tax on the 530D will be €1293 as opposed to to €614 on the 320D. Might be a consideration is you are cost sensitive. Also running costs will be higher.

i agree the 320d is a nice car, i got one a year ago, very smooth, nice build quality.
I get an average of 4.5 litres/100km in mine, or 62mpg but nearly 100% of my driving is on the motorway and I don't drive fast

If you could reach a bit higher, you could try to get a 2008 model. You'd probably get one for 21'000, I know its a lot more money, but you'd have very low road tax, and remaining manufacturer warranty.

2004 is 6 years old nearly..........it's probably a very good car, but at what age do cars start to give trouble ?

the 2008 model is way out of my budget to be honest guys and personally i really like the older models (pre-2004) or the e39's just look wise. im looking at spending around 10-12k so any ideas or options would be great. Hoping to get a few extras also, hence the reason looking over the border also... :)
cheers

2004 is 6 years old nearly..........it's probably a very good car, but at what age do cars start to give trouble ?

Completely depends on the car and its owners. 09 cars can give just as much hassle as 04s or 94s. I think it was the biggest masterstroke the government ever thought of for fuelling "keeping up with the Jones".....

hi just one bit of advice if your buying a bmw either the 3 series or the 5 series before you buy it bring it to a bmw mechanic and get a full diagnostic's run on it and it could save you money in the long run as the cars are full of sensors and some sensors in the 3 series gives a bit of trouble ...

If you can get away with it get the coupe best look of the lot.

Should be able to pick up a 05 Msport for about 16k or so.

thanks for the link. think im kind of swaying towards a e39 at the moment. Id be prepared to handle the tax but sure feck it... why not :). Id love a decent spec'd one with leather and multi function steering wheel etc... but im thinking that i'll have to hit the north to find something in my budget.... any links out there for stuff north or south guys feel free to post.
Thanks

Back