Opinions on dunshaughlin please

Kit78

Hi all, thinking of relocating to dunshaughlin. we both work north side city and have small kids so need more space. is it a nice place to live. thanks

There is a festival on in it next week.Why not go down and have a look.Direct bus route to city. It has 2 national schools a brand new secondary school. 2 golf courses and the best 10K road race in the country.

thanks for that. i will visit during the festival. I like the feel of the village and the commute by public transport seems very manageable. Does anyone get the train from the M3 parkway, like the idea of avoiding traffic in cabra/phibsboro.

I have family living there and I visit a lot. It's a really nice place to live. It has a small village feel to it, despite being close to Dublin.

Traffic is much better since the new motorway and as they work also on the northside of Dublin the commute is grand. 30 - 40 mins traffic dependent, if it's busy they take the motorway - 1.40.

Very good schools. Primary, Irish school and a recently expanded community college.

The only gripe they have is the lack of choice for food shopping. There is one Supervalue so they go to Ashbourne/Navan or Blanch for their main shop.

There is talk of a Tesco express - but so far it hasn't appeared.

They made the move 20 years ago and have never regretted it. As someone said, pop down for the festival and have a look around.

I bought there in 2009.

Not from Meath, and not from the area, but found the community very welcoming and as mentioned, having the likes of the Festival on once a year shows the commitment the people of the village have to making it a great place.

Never got the train, purely because I work in town and there is a very good bus service from Dunshaughlin to Dublin and from Dublin to Dunshaughlin. Peak time is every 15 minutes from Dublin while the mornings from Dunshaughlin have buses going to Bus Aras, Stephens Green and a few going to DCU. There is also a regular bus to and from Dublin Airport.

The village has a few pubs, and a few nice eateries (you won't find a better breakfast than Phidelma's...). As well as that location is great for Ashbourne (Tesco, Aldi, eating, nights out), Ratoath (resteraunts) and Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (Cinema, shopping, eating).

Unfortunately, the shops have been hit bad over the past few years with a lot of empty shop fronts. Supervalu is the only supermarket and that can be a little pricer than most. Although with them taking on Superquinn they will hopefully take on their Sausages and Bread! We do Tesco delivery though, order online and straight to the door which is handy.

For families, their is a soccer team there, a very welcoming GAA club, plenty of green spaces.

While it's been hit with the recession on the shop front, I have found the area and the people lovely since I moved their.

OP, did you buy in Dunshaughlin at the end? Just curious as I was thinking about this town for myself.

hi Galego, yes we bought in the end.. I did a lot of research this time around as once bitten twice shy! The pros of the area far outweigh the cons IMO.What is your impression of the area??

hi Galego, yes we bought in the end.. I did a lot of research this time around as once bitten twice shy! The pros of the area far outweigh the cons IMO.What is your impression of the area??

Congratulations! Wish you all the best in the new house and in Dunshaughlin.

We also bought in Dunsh recently so chances are that:

1- we went to view the same houses and/or
2- we did bid for the same houses and/or
3- we are now next to each other. :)

We also did a lot of research. In fairness, we already lived in Co. Meath for 5 years (closer to Dublin though) so our commuting to work has only increased 10 minutes.

Dunshaughlin is lovely for families, IMO. But of course it is not everyone's cup of tea. I grew up in a village so once we had our first baby I knew I wouldn't want to live any near Dublin.

So have you moved in yet? Planning in doing any work in the house?

hi again, we have a fair bit of work alright so will be a while before we actually move in. i hope i wont miss the amenities of the big smoke too much but as we have small children and very little space i am so looking forward to the move.

hope moving isn't as stressful as everyone says!! hope you are settling ok.

Agree with the poster who said the major con, pun intended, of Dunshaughlin is Super Valu. Definitely not super value. Horrendously expensive, as happens in monopoly situations. There was a petition to bring Lidl into the area a couple of years ago but certain businesses (ahem) objected. You can nip over to the Tesco Express in Ratoath 6km away or, if you love traffic, head into Blanch 15 km away. Navan is 15km the other way and has more character to it (think of that accent!). Ashbourne (beyond Ratoath), is 14km from Dunshaughlin, and has Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi & Lidl.

To my consistent surprise, it's very hard to find a house in Dunshaughlin. A quick check on Myhome and there is only a handful of them, and less than a handful are in a 1km radius of the actual village. For instance, one detached house listed as "Hallstown, Dunshaughlin" is some 6km from the village, nearer Ratoath than Dunshaughlin. The house in Branstown is about 5km down the Bog Road (lovely road). I'd avoid Grange Hall (on the village side of the Bog Road) as it has to be among the most ugly developments on this entire island. It defies belief that planning permission was ever given for it. Watching it was a real, collective "WTF" moment for the entire village.

Other than that, there's a very strong GAA club (it got to the Leinster Finals a few years ago, where IIRC Rathnew of Wicklow beat them) undergoing huge redevelopment. There are soccer, tennis and golf clubs also, with the Jack Nichlaus designed Killeen Castle some 4km out the Killeen/Dunsany Road (lovely road also).

Schoolwise, Scoil na Rithe (the Gaelscoil) has a massive reputation (like most of the village improvements, it was outsiders who set it up - in this case in a prefab in the old Tech in 1985). Dunshaughlin Community College is at the very top of the VEC schools in Ireland as it is one of the 12 schools in the state chosen by Microsoft as its "schools of the future" and is therefore in receipt of exceptional funding for technology.

Back