Opening an Irish bank account

Dave Vanian

I know someone who is coming to live in Ireland from UK next month. He will want to set up a bank account here a.s.a.p.

Obviously he will have his passport and driving licence for photo ID but does anyone know what the requirement is for address verification if you've never lived her before?

Thanks.

When I moved here 4 yrs ago I had to have a utility bill with my name & address on it. Another item they accept is a Tax Credits letter or PPS Letter with name & address on it.

Thanks. So does that mean that you have to register for a PPS number or get a utility bill before you can open a bank account?

Is this any help?

[broken link removed]

All the banks have to comply with the same regulations, so what's shown here should be required by any of them.

I opened a bank account with Permanent TSB earlier in the year and just used my UK address and utility bills from it. I dont have an irish address, so the bank statements are sent to my address in the UK. It was all very straightforward.

I opened a bank account with Permanent TSB earlier in the year and just used my UK address and utility bills from it. I dont have an irish address, so the bank statements are sent to my address in the UK. It was all very straightforward.

Problem about this is that your PIN no for your ATM card will also be sent to your UK address. This is ok if it's your family home address but if it's a rental one you won't want bank info or statements sent there.

Best idea is to register for PPS no & have this letter sent to the Irish address. No problem using this for proof of address with any bank.

Just register with UK address (and verify with UK bill), than change to IE address anytime - without needing an address verification :) ha!

PermTSB told us that when we move back to ireland in 2009 to just give them our irish address and they would change it over straight away.
sometimes i think these little things are easier to sort out in a small local town as opposed to say doing this in a city like dublin or cork. likewise we will be changing our UK accounts to have our irish address when we move as we will still be doing business here in the UK and will need the accounts, but online banking makes it all very easy to manage these days anyway.

For a friend of mine abroad who was considering doing some business here, I checked out with the local banks here what they required for setting up a non-resident bank acc.
The most interesting reply I recieved was from Ulster Bank, after the lady had gone and checked for me - they said proof of identity, passport, or driving licence, and an ESB bill - not a utility bill mind you, but an ESB bill - for a non-resident? I didn't think the ESB's reach was yet global :)

Back