Opening a UK company instead of an Irish one

Z

z107

Has anyone who is normally resident in Ireland, opened a UK company to run their business, instead of an Irish one?

More and more of our business it with UK companies, so I was thinking it might be better just to close our Irish company, and open a UK one instead - filling all our returns and paying VAT etc to the UK government.

Does anyone know of any problems with this approach?

Hi

If the company is resident in Ireland then it is liable to pay Irish taxes. It does not matter where it is incorporated.

You will be subject to UK company law however and will need to file the accounts of the company with the UK Companies Office.

Kind Regards

capnhand

Thanks for the response Capnhand.

If the company is resident in Ireland then it is liable to pay Irish taxes. It does not matter where it is incorporated.

It is an internet company, so I suppose it can be based anywhere.

I have dealt with this situation.

An Irish resident person provides services in the UK through a UK limited company.
As he is the only director, the company is then resident both in the UK and Ireland.
The company operates Irish PAYE and PRSI on his salary as he works in Ireland.
The company is registered and pays UK VAT
The company is not registered in Ireland for VAT
The Company files annual returns in the UK at Companies House
The company prepares UK statutory accounts
The Company files UK corporation tax returns and pays UK corporation tax.
The company prepares Irish statutory accounts
The company also files an Irish Corporation tax return.

It can be done, but could be more complicated that necessary.

My client did this only because the UK company he was contracting to would only take him on through a UK company, and it is not something to do lightly due to the additional paperwork and costs involved.

www.taxingtimes.ie

Back