Opening a Bottle of Booze Air side and taking a drink.

IsleOfMan

If you purchase a bottle of booze in the Duty Free area of the airport can you open this bottle and take a drink? If a person is flying within the Eu it is not actually Duty Free, just lower priced alcohol, just like an Off Licence.
Are there signs anywhere at the airport about this?

Presumably they use the same rules that apply in a regular pub or restaurant, off-sales are for consumption off the premises. If you want to drink, pay bar prices. I'm sure there are signs and Ts&Cs about "duty-free" sales.

Presumably they use the same rules that apply in a regular pub or restaurant, off-sales are for consumption off the premises.
I'd define the "premesis" as the space that the particular shop leases from the airport. Once the bottle is consumed more than 100 meters away, the law is quiet.

Coming back from Spain, Mrs Laramie, who is a nervous flyer wanted a Gin & Tonic to settle her nerves. The pub in the airport wanted €10 for a G & T. The local Duty Free were selling a litre of the stuff for €10. She bought a bottle and poured herself a nip.

We noticed that the Duty Free sales were just put in an unsealed bag from the Duty Free shop but as Isle of Man says, it is not Duty Free if flying within the Eu, just a regular off licence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd define the "premesis" as the space that the particular shop leases from the airport. Once the bottle is consumed more than 100 meters away, the law is quiet.
Did you just make that up? What about airport bye-laws which usually define the premises as air-side within the aerodrome, i.e. anything from check-in to the aircraft?

Apart from which anyone seen getting tore into a bottle of booze amy not be allowed to board.

1. I have often seen people buying alcohol airside and using their own plastic glasses to drink it both in the terminal and onboard the aircraft. Discretion advised. Enjoy.
2. You are in your local pub. You go outside for a smoke. You have a slab of lager in the boot of your car purchased @ €2.00 per can (probably less). Who is going to stop you topping up?

While I can't see any problem, I'd be discreet about it as if the pilot spots you as he happens to be walking by he may decide to not let you fly.

Back