FAQ Opening a bank account in Northern Ireland

I was planning to visit Ulster Bank in Newry and I rang to make an appointment. The guy in the call centre said that I could open a current account from Dublin over the phone.

The number from the Republic is 1800 303 004

There is a choice of a Step Account or a Standard Account. The costs are the same, but the Standard Account has a cheque book and you may apply for an overdraft. So I went for the Standard Account as I do occasionally write sterling cheques.

They took all my information over the phone which took about 15 minutes. They are now sending me the documentation to sign and return with the usual proof of identity and address.

I will have a fully functioning online current account with a Visa Debit card and online banking.

At this stage, I don't have a savings account and to open one, I must present myself in person. I will check out where the best savings account is and it might well be with another financial institution.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,
Just wondered did you find out where the best savings account is?? I am really clueless about this stuff but would like to open a sterling account for a lump sum just in case ! Would really apprecciate any comments
mollyo

Back