Open University ( & Other Distance Learning) Courses : How well are they regarded?

U

Unregistered

How well regarded are open University courses, and indeed other distance learning study. Are they regarded as second class? I am particularly interested in OU business courses, for example its MBA programme.

Thanks

I was speaking to a management consultant who we had in doing training. I asked him the very question and he said that an OU course just would not be held in the same regard as some tuition based night course.

What about the distance courses available from UCD and DCU? According to these universities distance learning students receive the exact same degree as those that attend full time.

he said there is a thought that the content of distant learning courses is questionable in its relevance and having completed the diploma in IT from DCU I would have to aggree. I found completely unrelated to anything I have done in IT before or since

Re: Open University ( & Other Distance Learning) Courses : How well are they regarded

The content of the course and the fact that it is distance learning are not related. The content of an IT course is never going to cover everything and is never going to be up to date - what matters is whether it teaches you the basic tools you need to understand the specific technologies you might eventually work with. I would imagine a general business course (irrelevant of how it is delivered) would do the same and not try to teach about whatever the latest managment consultancy fad is.

I agree Dearg Doom. How a course is delivered whould not impact on the contact. My understanding is that those that study by distance learning have to pass the same exams as those that study part/full time is order to gain the same degree.

Back