Open University - is it worhwhile

Carramore

I'm thinking of starting a maths degree with Open University. Their courses seem quite expensive but I'm prepared to make the sacrifice if they're worth it. Does anyone have experience of OU - doesn't have to be in maths, but obviously experience in this or a related area would be appreciated? Alternative suggestions also welcome. I'm reluctant to apply to one of the "normal" universities, as I would feel a bit out of place, being quite a bit older than the typical student and I also like the flexibility that seems to be on offer with the OU.

Hi Carramore, I have experience of studying with the OU and will answer any of your questions.No experience of Maths though, and would not want to undertake a distance learning course in that subject because of the limited help available.

i'm reluctant to apply to one of the "normal" universities

i like the flexibility that seems to be on offer with the ou.
Good reason

i would feel a bit out of place, being quite a bit older than the typical student
Bad reason. There are mature student groups in all universities.

I left university nearly 20 years ago and I might find it a bit strange too, but if you can actually attend I think there would be less isolation and more support from fellow class mates.

I had thought of going back to do Engineering myself but I'm lucky to be still working so I'll keep on going with that for now.

You might be able to correct some grammar and accents too :) ! "He was like ... I was like .. He said like..."

Thanks Swallows. I'll follow up on your offer. Gearoid, I agree that the third is not a good reason; actually, I would enjoy the company of younger people, even though it's closer to 40 rather than 20 years ago since I would have left university, if I'd gone there in the first place! The second is the real reaon: I'm still working part-time and so couldn't guarantee to be available for scheduled lectures.

I studied accountancy via various distance learning courses (not OU) and then I did a 3 year OU course. The OU course was much better in support and material provided and I would highly recommend them if you want the flexibility of distance learning. You might not get much real company but there's a lot of internet support and you get to meet people at residential courses and tutorials.

I did a number of courses with the OU and can recommend them. I didn't do maths courses, but did do computing courses with a math content. I would say the materials are reasonable at explaining stuff but you do need to make full use of the tutors and the online forums. Also, you would need a reasonable background from the leaving cert I'd say.

Yes, they are expensive - I did mine in the UK where the courses are subsidised. I can't justify the costs to do more here even though I'd like to. Also, bear in mind not all ou courses are eligable for tax back here AFAIK

Back