Only in Ireland....

A

Alan Moore

Got a puncture yesterday morning on Brewery Road. Due to the proximity to the Luas, any available parking was taken up so I dumped the car 3/4ths on a double yellow, in a small housing estate with a note in the window to say I had dumped same due to puncture and would be back. Arrived back at lunch hour in jeans and t-shirt to change the wheel only to find a parking ticket on the car. Mothertruckers or something similar.

Sorry 'bout that, Alan!

What's more — I'd be amazed if parking wardens habitually operate in small housing estates 'round that location. Sounds more like an irate resident rang the Gárdaí and insisted someone drive by and ticket you. Were you blocking anyone's access?

Suspect you are right.....

Definitely was a cop as ticket was in one of their bags. Wasn't causing an obstruction. Wasn't even outside someones house. Was like an anti-christ, not easy changing a wheel in near gale force winds.

Re: Suspect you are right.....

If the cause was a pothole send the ticket to the local county council citing their disgrace roads as cause for puncture/ticket

If it's any comfort, I see that urban clearway signs are being erected on all the roads in Sandyford near the Luas, they don't seem to be inforce yet, but it won't be long. The people who park on the road are causing obstruction to the traffic into the estate, especially when you can't stream into the two lanes at the lights on the Luas tracks.

outrageous defence

Stobar,

To my bitter experience I discovered local authorities have the cunning defence of malfeasence which permits them to avoid any responsibility for damage caused by the deplorable state of many roads around the country.

Westbound, I suspect that has more to do with forcing people to pay their €4 for the parking, rather than obstruction issues. Most roads are plenty wide enough around there to take all the parking. (although closer to the luas tracks i'd agree)

Why they can't simply give free parking with a valid Luas ticket I don't know. Greed??

Alan, hard luck, but why does that not surprise you in a country where they clamp a doctor on duty attending a patient....

Would agree....

... that the park n ride should be free. We were told that the luas would take loads of cars of the road. I'm not going to spend €8 ( €2 plus €2 plus €4 ) to get in and out of work a day. Sure this has been covered before on AAM.

Re: Would agree....

why should the park and ride be free? surely your parking in town costs at least a tenner if not quite a bit more?

I agree- the Park & ride should be free to try and encourage people to use the Luas and not drive into town. Are Luas availing of the tax incentives for park & ride facilities (if they still exist)?

Luas probably see it as an additional source of income, as opposed to a facility to enocourage drivers to use the trams The price is obviously a disincentive for people to use and pay for the parking. If it costs a tenner to be in town and €8 to use the luas and parking, then alot people wouldn't think twice about driving on in.

i don't get it; if someone really wants to drive and listen to This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language radio for an hour while they sit in a traffic jam on pearse street, then that's their choice. i dont see why the gubnment should spend tens of millions a year providing free parking spaces to long distance commuters just because they feel indignant. i reckon 8 quid is reasonable value given that you get 30 or more minutes to read the paper or a book instead of commuting. if you decide that your time is worth less than 4 quid an hour then that's your decision but i don't see why you expect you should be paid to avail of the most modern and comfortable form of public transport available in the country.

outrageous defence

"To my bitter experience I discovered local authorities have the cunning defence of malfeasence which permits them to avoid any responsibility for damage caused by the deplorable state of many roads around the country."

Ash, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Council paid for the replacment of the wheel rim on my BMW bike after I hit a huge pothole in Dundrum. I took a photo of the hole, the damage to the wheel rim and reported the incident to the local Garda Station as, had I lost complete control of the bike, I could have been killed or seriously injured.

It took quite a few letters, but they eventually paid.

malfeasence

delgirl,

It's very interesting to hear your experience and that the local authority made good the damage to your bike.
In my case, I probably took No for an answer too quickly and didn't pursue the matter as rigourously as I should. The damage to my car wasn't very severe but at the time I feared it was. As well as the repairs, there was also call-out and recovery. But should it happen again that my car suffers damage as a result of negligence by the local authority, I wont give up so easily.
I wonder, could the fact you were on a bike and the possibility of serious personal injury was real be an influencing factor on how the local authority responded? In my experience local authorities seem to make up their own rules.

Malfeasence

Ash, don't know if it was the bike that made the difference - perhaps it was the way I approached them i.e. with photos, details of my report to the Garda, a quotation from a BMW garage with their opinion that the damage to the rim was probably caused by pothole impact, etc.

I also mentioned a Small Claims Court action in one of my letters and sent all correspondence by registered mail.

Back