Only a trickle coming out of my tap. Help!

4th estate

Evening all.

I have a problem. I got a new bathroom fitted a couple of years ago. Everything grand, pumped shower, etc.

The flow from the bathroom sink was never great, but we got by. The plumber said it was because the fittings were "continental" or something. (Villeroy and Bosch on a very special deal).

Now there are only drops coming from the taps in the bathroom sink.

My plumber who was amazing, has gone to work in Canada.

Anyone got any advice, it would be most welcome. I know I'll need a plumber but have you any idea what could be done?

Thanks so much

Is it just the taps on the sink? Whats the toilet like to fill, or the bath if you have one

Sounds like the problem is either a fault on the tap (ie manufacture) or maybe a serviceable item like replacing a washer. Could even be something as simple as a bit of dirt or plumbers tape caught inside the tap. Who supplied the tap was it your plumber or did you pick it yourself?

Sounds like the problem is either a fault on the tap (ie manufacture) or maybe a serviceable item like replacing a washer. Could even be something as simple as a bit of dirt or plumbers tape caught inside the tap. Who supplied the tap was it your plumber or did you pick it yourself?

Hi,
Thanks for the dig out so far...

I sourced them myself and the plumber fitted everything.

He did say at the time that they were "continental" fittings and the piping for flow was narrower or something. I didn't pay too much attention at the time, but did notice that the pressure was very low on the sink, but manageable.

The shower is over the bath and is pumped from the tank/hotpress. Sometimes there too the bath tap is slow and trickly but I never use the bath and the shower is brilliant.

I just wondered if anyone had come across such continental fittings, apparently they are narrower than our own or something, I am a dodo when it comes to doing anything round the house so I haven't a clue.

There is a sort of "guard" on the end of the tap, I can't really describe it sort of like a filter, and someone said if you can remove that it would sort it out. Am afraid to touch it.

I have no solution for you but do have the same problem and it was blamed on continental taps by my plumber- they look great but don't perform well. For us it's the bath as well as the sink, the bath can take 20 minutes to half fill.

'Continental' fittings tend to be suitable for 'pressurised', whereas here in Ireland we mainly have 'gravity-fed' supply - basically there's not enough pressure for the type of taps you have.

Back