Ongar Dublin 15 ?

It's O'Connell Property - it's beside the florist, opposite the side of Coolers, the off licence.

i heard that none of the pubs have been sold yet. probably llooking for too much money.

does anyone know the maintenance fees for Stralem Crescent? 4 bed duplex? estate agent was tight lipped on subject! thanks

I think its around 500 euro. You have to contact wallis property management for this.

-hth

I have heard through a fairly reliable source that the huge development that is due to be built accross the road from Ongar (just off the Hansfield Rd) has now ALL been designated as social housing. Anyone know anything about that?

It's about 2k away from clonee, Ongar is an actual village built on a former stud farm, from what I'm told it didn't exist 2 years ago.

I'm no snob but I was just woundering what type of person lives their, has anyone info on the area.

Its actually about 5-6 years old at this stage. The last phases of the developement was probobly about 2 years. Its a nice enough area with plenty of facilitys within walking distence.

I have heard through a fairly reliable source that the huge development that is due to be built accross the road from Ongar (just off the Hansfield Rd) has now ALL been designated as social housing. Anyone know anything about that?

Not heard about that, but I did hear that that is where the new train station will go.

Was in Ongar yesterday for a look and was plesently surprised that the village has everything you would want and wouldn't need to go into Blanch shopping centre (Bedlam at times), only for the cinema .

Dunnes, Dominos, flower shop, barbers, bookies, xtravision, chinese & indian Restaurants , two pubs, medical center, newspaper shop and more to come.

All on the door step of the apartment, excellent.

Seems to be a good cross section of people mainly 25-40 years age group.

Erm....wheres the two pubs?? Certainly not as good as you make out.

Ongar's not at all bad - at least it does have the local shops and takeaways, etc. But anyone thinking of buying there should note -

(1) High proportion of investment properties (I have one!);
(2) Property management company is very unimpressive;
(3) Unit size and finish is quite good, but sound insulation is not great, from our experience. That means you will have to rely on your neighbours' good sense and consideration - and personally, I never like *having to* rely on that...;
(4) It's suffering from some of the nuisance low-level vandalism many large new developments have - our tenant's car was damaged (wing mirror and a window broken), doors pulled off electricity meters, stuff like that.

However, there's a generally good vibe about the place, there are lots of nationalities and languages spoken, and you're not as car-dependent for every little thing as on many of the other large D15 developments. Our tenants were happy enough to take a second year's lease, we have a friend renting there who's also very happy, and my husband's colleague is a very satisfied owner-occupier.

I would probably not buy there at current prices if hoping to make a quick (2-3 years) profit and move on - it is potentially quite vulnerable to a slump. I think it'll probably hold current values *on average* over a 5-7 year span, but that could include potentially significant early dips.

... just my tuppence ha'penny worth.

Agreed it could be vulnerable to a slump. It features quite a bit on this blog site:

http://irishhousepricesfalling.blogspot.com/

I have a brother living there and is happy enough with it, although he doesn't have to commute at rush hour.

... the house I'm sale agreed on - closing in next fortnight, hopefully, [not in Ongar] - also features on the blog! I saw it at its initial asking price, told the estate agent "That's ridiculous!" and walked away - offered when the EA and vendor got more realistic.

Out in Ongar, I think quite a lot of the amateur landlords are getting nervous and that may be part of the reason it's featuring so heavily: panic off-load, leading to over-supply - Economics 101 tells us what happens next...

However, a lot of the price drops reflect the unreasonable ambition of prices set in the last few months, which hadn't been reflective of typical sale prices over the previous period. Still, I'm looking at my paper gain and wondering (idly, and without any sense of impending doom) how much will survive!

Yes - the guide price or amv being reduced isn't necessarily a sign of a price collapse, just that people were running away with the idea that if it was €Y last year it should be €Yx1.2 now. In fact it seems that prices are staying stuck at Spring 2006 levels.

Have lived in Ongar for past 2 1/2 years and have to say I'm pretty happy there. To address some comments from previous posts - I live next door to renters who are some of the nicest people I've met. Have had experience of Car being broken into early on though:mad:

As for the '15min' walk to the train station, I too was told that when I bought the house - I reckon perhaps the closest house to the station might just be 15 mins, however mine is exactly 23 mins - and that's cutting through Dunnes Car Park!

Anyway - as for the school, when I was buying the house I saw the original proposed site for the school - which was beside the All Weather pitch, plus the area in front of my house was a green area. I did notice though that it wasn't marked as 'designated green area' and questioned this. I was told that they could not guarantee that it would not be built on in the future and lo and behold, this is the proposed site for the school.

Currently there are lots of kids that play here and I do worry that they will have nowhere to play once the school is built because for one thing they are always outside playing which is great to see, considering the amount of kids who stay in front of tv screens all day long. In saying that I would like to see a school in Ongar.

Anyway - as with previous posters, I would like to know when the pubs are going to open - although I have a personal theory that maybe they will open after Ongar House(The big yellow building at the top of the village) has it's grand opening,
Bee

hi lived there for two years just sold up.good place to live people are very nice my biggest complaint was there was a problem with the sound proofing in the apts you can hear everything above and below. you do get a few kid s that cause trouble now and again,but not to often.the domino,s is really good as well.
best of luck with it

Is there a medical center in Ongar at present? If not where is the nearest one?
Thank you :)

freeman its around the corner from paddy powers-opp tyhe coffee shop -heard really good reports about the doctors there

Ongar residents - any feelings on the management company charges? Just received the 06 and 07 charge as one.... don't have too much faith in the management company and have placed a no. of queries with them. Especially seeing as it appears they have not yet held an AGM.

Back