One space or two after a full stop?

zoe

When writing text using a PC, is it the convention to leave one space or two between a full stop and a new sentence?

Does the same convention apply if the text remains on a word document or website, or alternatively if the text is printed onto paper from the PC?

Thanks

up to you. I use one, always have. Lifts too short...
in particular now, PCs auto space anyhow - its called justification.

I would always leave one space after a full stop. This is two spaces and does not look right. This is one space and looks better in my opinion.

As a secretary/PA for over 14 years I was always trained to use two spaces after a full stop but I'm unsure if there is any particular rule. That's certainly what we were taught back in the days of the manual typewriter!!! :)

French or English rules?

Four main preferences exist today:
  • Some authors believe that text using double-spaces between sentences is more readable than text written with only one space after the period.[13][28][29][30]
  • Some authors believe that proportionally spaced fonts have made double-spacing redundant, and that it should only be used in a monospaced (nonproportional) font.[31] The argument here is that double-spacing was an attempt in a monospaced font to create the effect of proportional fonts' spaces, and that the ready availability now of proportional fonts renders a double-space redundant. However, the width of spacing in a proportional font width is nearly always narrower than an em space.
  • Some authors (particularly professional designers or typographers) believe that double-spacing creates an unappealing appearance.[18][32][33]
  • Some authors believe best practice is dependent on the particular typeface being used.[34]

Thanks.

Yes, that's why I was wondering Lou34 since it's a convention for the typewriter.

Though someone was telling me that this convention does not apply when using a PC or printing off text from a PC.

I would always leave one space after a full stop. This is two spaces and does not look right. This is one space and looks better in my opinion.

callybags [Donegal English "Killybegs"?]

Can't see it.

This is an HTML page.

It doesn't show double spaces.

I found that out when writing my website.

HTH

ONQ.

I have always used 2 spaces after a full stop and 1 space after a comma - I was told once that this was how you should do it so at this stage it's a habit.

I mainly use arial size 10. Now I never justify my letters and hate if someone types a letter for me and does that.

Back in the day when I learned to type (on the manual typewriter!), I was taught to use 3 spaces after a full stop. It's something I still do - drove a friend mad a few years ago while proof reading his thesis!!

all the above comments prove one thing - there's no convention! IMO modern pc justification techniques make it a moot point in any case so why bother

callybags [Donegal English "Killybegs"?]

Can't see it.

This is an HTML page.

It doesn't show double spaces.

I found that out when writing my website.

HTH

ONQ.

Miles off with "Killybegs" :)

I see what you mean- on looking back I can't see the difference either.

How does this work? Does it correct itself?

Confused!

As a secretary/PA for over 14 years I was always trained to use two spaces after a full stop but I'm unsure if there is any particular rule. That's certainly what we were taught back in the days of the manual typewriter!!! :)
Me too! It was always convention when I was at 'typing' school and I have always used two spaces between sentences since then.

Down here in the real capital, we were also taught to leave two spaces after a full stop and one space after a comma, semi-colon etc. Although I only lasted three months in the School of Comm. before taking the first job that came my way, it stuck with me. I think it makes documents more readable.

Most word processing programs allow you to set your own preferences for 1/2/3 spaces and other typographical / typing "conventions".

I have always used 2 spaces after a full stop and 1 space after a comma - I was told once that this was how you should do it so at this stage it's a habit.

Me too. My wife was told this at secretarial college - but this is some time ago so convention may have changed.

Miles off with "Killybegs" :)

I see what you mean- on looking back I can't see the difference either.

How does this work? Does it correct itself?

Confused!

It seems to correct itself.

I wanted to space things out on my website.

Not a huge amount - maybe two or three spaces instead of one.

Had to use a vertical bar to do it - that gives a space character space arrangement like this

| | | | | | and so on with one space and one bar.

| | | | I've typed three spaces there and I'll bet I see only one.

ONQ.

I have always used 2 spaces after a full stop and 1 space after a comma. I was told once that this was how you should do it so at this stage it's a habit.

I mainly use tahoma size 10.

This question was asked on AAM in the early days of the current millenium. If I find the link Ill post it here.

In the meantime: here is the wiki entry.

Spacing after full stop

Main article: Double spacing at the end of sentences
There are three main conventions relating to the number of spaces used to separate sentences within the same paragraph:

• One widened space, typically one-and-a-third to slightly less than two times wider than an inter-word space (traditional typography)
  • One space (French Spacing)
  • Double space (English Spacing). The two spaces convention was brought about by the use of monospaced font on typewriters to approximate an em space, and carried on by tradition. However, this more closely approximates traditional typography, as even in proportional fonts an inter-word space is nearly always much narrower than an em space.
Note that the term double spacing can also refer to a style of leading: the insertion of a full additional empty line between lines of text. This is commonly used for text which may incorporate later markup or modifications, such as proof-readers' copies or legal documents.

Back