One PAYE, one contract worker

Ihana

I am just wondering if people have any insight into how the banks would view our self build mortgage application. Husband is permanently employed, earning 40,000. I am a self employed consultant for the last six months.

My question is, how will they view me as part of the application? Im not exactly a dependent, but I dont have 3 years of accounts either.

Last edited:
If you were doing the same work as a PAYE employee directly before you started as a self-employed consultant, then a bank might take your current income into account. Usually, they would take up to around 75% of your previous salary as sustainable income, with the rationale that you could return to PAYE employment on that salary level. However, this is done very much on a case by case basis, and they would look closely at the contract(s) that you currently have, and whether the sector is healthy. If you are only getting up and running and do not have contracts (or preferably a retainer/regular income) with a client(s), then there would be very little chance of having any income taken into account for you until you have two full years of personal tax returns to show. In this instance, you would automatically be considered as an adult dependant, which makes it almost impossible to qualify for any level of mortgage on an assessable household income of €40k. If all of this is the case, and if the priority is getting a mortgage, then PAYE employment may your only option for a few years.

Best Regards,
Dave Curry, Irish Mortgage Corporation
https://ie.linkedin.com/in/davecurryirl

Thank you for your response. IT actually gives me hope as I do fulfil a lot of the criteria you mention. Lets see how they view it.

Back