One Parent Family Payment and SUSI maintanence grant

merille

im at home with my 2 girls and going back to college this september. just wondering do i HAVE TO go to the social welfare office and apply for back to education allowance? or i just can keep my opfp the way it is? im asking it because i would like to apply for susi mainanence grant and if i get btea, i wont be able to get both.

The SW web page on Back to Education allowance states the following:

If you are getting a One Parent Family Payment or a disability payment (Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension or Illness Benefit) you can choose to stay on your current social welfare payment and apply for a student grant or you can choose to transfer to the BTEA.

If you are in receipt of Rent Supplement or Mortgage Interest Supplement and go back to education, you will lose these payments if you do not transfer to BTEA.

Have a look at this page for more information

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/swpayments_grant.aspx
(note that the Cost of Education Allowance mentioned on this page has been discontinued)

thanks for that :)

yes i know i will loose rent allowance (which is fair), but if i need to, can i claim rent allowance again once the college is over in may next year and cant find a job straight away?

You can make a new application for Rent Supplement when your course finishes if you don't find work after college.

Back