one coat gloss paint: does it work?

noel 2006

I need to repaint wood work (skirting boads etc) in my house. I am thinking of using a one coat gloss paint rather than first putting on an undercoat. Does anyone here have experience of this?

I would advise against it. I have tried one coat paints in both America and Ireland and I believe they are designed for people who are leasing commercial or residential property. In my opinion there is a marked difference in the quality of the finish achieved.

I need to repaint wood work (skirting boads etc) in my house. I am thinking of using a one coat gloss paint rather than first putting on an undercoat. Does anyone here have experience of this?

It would depend on the colour you are painting over, I have used them in the past and had no problem with them painting over a similar colour

In almost all cases you will get a far better result if you use an undercoat first.
Also give the old painted surface a good wipe down before you start painting. Removing grease / dirt will allow new paint to adhere best.
Will take longer but worth the extra effort.

Hi I have just painted wooden doors in my house with one coat gloss and it will work if you don't try to paint too large an area. you need to go by the area stated on the tin. Also if it is the same colour you will get away with a slightly larger area.

Years ago I painted an outside balcony, half in one coat gloss and half with undercoat and gloss. There was no difference between then over the years.

Many thanks for replies. I will be painting white paint over white paint. So I might try the one coat paint.

You wouldn’t have any problem with white over white. As previously stated, rub down existing paintwork first to get a good key for the new paint it’s also much easier to apply the new paint on surfaces that have been prep’ed first. There is a product on the market called liquid sandpaper which is good for a quick/easy sanding job, but can be a bit messy.

You wouldn’t have any problem with white over white. As previously stated, rub down existing paintwork first to get a good key for the new paint it’s also much easier to apply the new paint on surfaces that have been prep’ed first. There is a product on the market called liquid sandpaper which is good for a quick/easy sanding job, but can be a bit messy.

+1. Preparation is the key to good paint work.

No problem, if you clean and degrease the area first. Put masking tape on the carpet and leave overnight.

Back