on dole, no medical card and sick

aerobubbles

I wonder if anyone can help me here, my partner is on Jobseekers Benefit( i think not sure which one) he has never applied for a medical card, typical male i guess he never thought he might get sick. the past month he has been in agony with pain in his side and i think he really really needs to get to a doctor/hospital. he is worried he wont get seen without insurance/medical card or if he is seen he wont be able to pay the costs.
What can he do has anyone any advice? am sure he would qualify for medical card if he had applied but he is in agony now and medical card could take months to get.

If it's serious enough for A&E, he will be seen and treated, but he'll have to pay the A&E charge (currently €100). If he's admitted as an inpatient, there may be further charges.

The A&E charge can be avoided if referred by a GP. The GP will charge for his/her services, but it's likely to be less than €100.

There should not be a long waiting time for medical card applications, he should apply as soon as possible.

If he is sick then he should go to the doctor or Hospital!
whatever the bill is it can surely be paid back over time. It not like they are going to send in debt collectors if he is making an attempt to pay off the bill over time.

Note that hosp care in Irl is tax financed.

The only charges are 100 A+E if you arrive without a letter from a GP.

Also 75 per night fee, up to max of 750 pa.

Back