Olympic Games that are not games

jasconius

Surely 'sports' like dressage, gymnastics, gymnastic-rhythmic, gymnastic - artistic, synchronised swimming, diving etc, should be dropped from the games.
While I am a keen sports fan, I just don't see these activities as sport.
They are surely more of an art form than sport. There is no physical contact with or against the other contestants.

I would also be doubtful about sailing - this is more of a pastime than a sport.

I see that in Rio 2016, they are going to include golf !

They may as well introduce motorsport F1 as well,

Having vented my spleen, The London Games are the best ever!

Just noticed that Rugby Union 7's will be in Rio as well - that's a bit more like it!

...There is no physical contact with or against the other contestants....
I'm in partial agreement with you...

I do think javelin, discus, hammer and shot put(t) would be much more exciting if there was an "opponent" at the other end of the field... :D

I'm agree about dresage and synchronized swimming to an extent but I think that because I dont understand the science of each sport and how long it takes to train etc. I think gymnastics is absolutely a sport and belongs there. I could never dream to do what those guys do.

I think that sports that already have major competitions elsewhere should be removed...tennis, soccer to name but a few.

Either way, I've enjoyed the games immensely. The inclusion of these games hasnt bothered me, I just opt not to watch them.

Saw last night that BMX biking is an olympic sport also! what next - rollerskating!

There is no physical contact with or against the other contestants.

Where was the physical contact between Usain Bolt and the others ? I get your point, but narrowing the argument down to physical contact is, IMHO, weakening the argument.

I would also be doubtful about sailing - this is more of a pastime than a sport.

What! Sailing is one of the most physically demanding of all the sports at the olympics.

You are in the boat for a full week and the stamina required to keep the boat upright in force 6+ winds is immense.

To compete at the olympics the top sailors will spend the whole winter in the gym.

Add in the mental demands of tactics, match racing the opponents, reading wind and tidal shifts and it is up there and surpasses the demands of near on all the other sports.

The problem here is very few people have tried to do any of these sports so it is difficult to comprehend the physical effort and skill required. I have no problem with any of these sports being part of the games but I do agree that any sport where an olympic medal is not the pinnacle should be removed. Also, I think the Olympic games have become too big and costly to host.

Having said that, I cannot bring myself to watch Greco-Roman wrestling!

The funny thing abut these olympics is that I watched sports that I would not normally watch just because there was an irish competitor. The sailing on Monday was exciting to watch even though I know bugger all about it.
Katie Taylor was impressive but this was the first time I actally watched a full fight even though she was a 4 times world champion.

Track and field, athletics and things that are derived from combat are, for me, the core of what the games are about.

I'd have sailing before I'd have soccor or rugby.

I think it's kinda hard to watch and get excited for professional athletes in soccer, tennis & basketball at the Olympics - they have their own "majors" and the Olympics is a sort-of add-on. For athletics, gymnastics and the like, the Olympics is their career defining event.

God help us when Golf is an Olympic sport. :(

Sitting here watching the BMX biking. Makes me what to root out my own BMX from 25 years ago!

I think it's kinda hard to watch and get excited for professional athletes in soccer, tennis & basketball at the Olympics - they have their own "majors" and the Olympics is a sort-of add-on. For athletics, gymnastics and the like, the Olympics is their career defining event.

God help us when Golf is an Olympic sport. :(

Yea, I'd agree with that.

Perhaps football should not be included as the olympic tournament ranks well below the Euros , the World Cup & other international tournaments but personally I give thanks that it has.

The Mexico Senegal , USA Canada & Brazil Honduras games were marvellous to watch & those games allied to the performances of the Irish boxers have been the highlights for me.

The way things are going with the Olympics Ludo and Snakes & Ladders will soon be added as "sports" - personally, I believe the Olympics Sports should be confined to Track and Field events only.

Back