Old Telecom Eireann / Eircom Pension Scheme Deferred Benefits

JohnFromKerry

My brother worked with telecom eireann / Eircom up until the privatisation at which point he left with a deferred pension.

He hadn’t yet drawn down this pension (nor had he transferred it out). It has a substantial transfer value, >300k.

Question is what death in deferment benefits are available from this scheme?

I can’t find any scheme booklet / rules for this scheme. From what I can for similar (ie the Single Public Service Pension Scheme) there is a death gratuity paid equivalent to the retirement lump sum. This seems reasonable. However enquiries so far have not yielded any response from scheme administrators.

If anyone know would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Thanks - have tried there, but they only administer the pensions in payment and therefore weren’t able to help. AON are administrators but unable to get reply or details from them.

OP

Have you tried AoEP, the Association of Eircom Pensioners?
Their website is the usual 3 ws followed by .aoep.eu

I noticed you use "you cannot get a response".
Can your brother enquire himself?
Or could you be authorised act on his behalf?
Might be a case of "we can't deal with you" due to GDPR etc.

My brother worked with telecom eireann / Eircom up until the privatisation at which point he left with a deferred pension.

He hadn’t yet drawn down this pension (nor had he transferred it out). It has a substantial transfer value, >300k.

Question is what death in deferment benefits are available from this scheme?

I can’t find any scheme booklet / rules for this scheme. From what I can for similar (ie the Single Public Service Pension Scheme) there is a death gratuity paid equivalent to the retirement lump sum. This seems reasonable. However enquiries so far have not yielded any response from scheme administrators.

If anyone know would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_025101_129.jpg
    IMG_20240311_025101_129.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240311_025242_743.jpg
    IMG_20240311_025242_743.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Hi S class - thanks for digging that out and sending on - I think it’s exactly what I need. Would you be able to send in copies of other pages too please - particularly any which relate to death before retirement (but after leaving service)? Many thanks.

This is the only other page dealing with death

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_011904_802.jpg
    IMG_20240312_011904_802.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
Mercer should be able to tell you who the Trustees are. If you contact them, they should be able to help. For what its worth, in the two PRIVATE sector pensions that I was a member of, the pension was guaranteed to be paid for 5 years. This I think was to give some small balance to the fact that if the member was not married, that member could nominate someone to collect in the event of death.

Back