Old pension what to do?

Paul O Mahoney

Hi all I have spent the last few months sorting out everything in our finances and it involved visiting the loft and trawling through so much rubbish, but I'll say this " God can I file,, every year since 1987 every category from credit cards to houses I bought and flipped, life was simple .

Anyhoo I knew I had a small DC pension but I thought there was feck all in it, I was right but still €31k can't add to it and I have access via Aon website which took me forever.

My income nowadays is tiny, 13k rental income and about 3/4 doing a few bits and bobs, we are jointly assessed and her salary is very good as are her pension funds .......

Any suggestions what to do with this ,I'm not well enough to work full-time and have no desire to go back as an accountant, my voluntary work takes up some time, and gardening is my love and that's time consuming.

I'm 53 and happy to be alive and don't want the 31k to just sit there, Daddy wants a Japanese tea room , the notes on the website says my pension is self administered? But I can't add to it in its present form.

I'd be grateful for any ideas, cash it in? Add it to her spousal pension, that 2% of pensionable salary, hers its a perk, or transfer it.

I suppose I could be greedy and go without the rental income and lash it into another personal pension. But as I have no income really there's not tax advantage or is there?

Back