Offset losses against gains within same etf

coolaboola12

Hi all

As the above states, can you offset losses against gains when using the same etf if you were purchasing monthly and sold everything together at the same time ?

Not in my opinion - each purchase is treated as an individual investment and the gains and losses calculated separately

However, it is possible to use an average cost when calculating the gains or losses, so I suppose it might be possible to offset some of the losses

Are we talking about a real life example or are you just musing about future purchases and sales?

Not in my opinion - each purchase is treated as an individual investment and the gains and losses calculated separately

However, it is possible to use an average cost when calculating the gains or losses, so I suppose it might be possible to offset some of the losses

Are we talking about a real life example or are you just musing about future purchases and sales?
Thanks, yeah that is what I think too but was on Reddit earlier and most dont believe that to be the case, probably because it's so hard to believe you may have to pay tax even with an overall losing position !

I see your name on lots of aam etf posts, do you invest in them ?

Thanks, yeah that is what I think too but was on Reddit earlier and most dont believe that to be the case, probably because it's so hard to believe you may have to pay tax even with an overall losing position !

I see your name on lots of aam etf posts, do you invest in them ?
Ah, Reddit. Why didn’t you say? I get all of my tax and legal advice there. It’s like an online version of KPMG.

So does this mean that if you bought an etf monthly for 12 months and sell all together you can just get the average cost of purchase , get the sale price and pay 41% of any gains?

If it's as easy as that , why do people complain so much about etf reporting

Musing, can't decide on whether to do monthly investments in etf or investment trust

It's not a conclusion, it's a question.
Somewhat discussed in your other thread a few weeks ago:

Back