Offering less than asking price

bradfield

Hey!

Just a quick opinion request. Thinking about buying house new build in the West of Ireland, three bed semi d, 215000. Whats the opinion on offering less than the asking price for new builds?

B

I'm in the West and Builders are finding it very difficult to move property. Depends on where the property is and everything is relative but try knocking at least 15% off the price. Any chance you could find local prices last year and the year before. Whereabouts in the West ?

Hi Mercman,

Would you apply the same 15% to say the Kildare and Dublin area?

Joejoe

The downturn is across the board not just in particular areas. I've seen apartments been sold at 25% below asking price. The price reductions are across the Board.

Hey all,

Thanks for the answers, the property is in Mayo but not one of the urban centres, smaller town.

I think the general consensus is no harm in offering below all they can do is say no!

B

If you have to have one motto to live your life by, you could do a lot worse than:

"never pay full price"

Except in a charity shop. It's really bad form to ask for a reduction when people are trying to raise money for charity.

But the OP should definitely ask for a reduction on the house they are interested in, and be prepared to wait at least 3 weeks to a month before coming back with a slightly higher offer if they get told no.

Thanks for the opinions. Just another consideration the developer is offering fully fitted kitchen with appliances and all flooring with that price should this influence offer??

B

No.

Why should you pay for flooring on your mortgage for 25 years? You'ld probably replace it after 5.

Now its becoming interesting. You must remember that the base price is fairly small to start with at €215 k

Well if he is doing to all that in its pretty good, but still offer less. Maybe he has 10 to sell and no buyers, as they say a house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

I myself have offered 10% less on a new build with similar additions, kitchen etc but the builder is insisting on no offers just asking price. So at present just waiting a while until he gets a dose of reality (that is unless there is a someone out there offers the asking price :)). Needless to say I am getting the old "oh other people are interested you have increase if you want it" story. So am going to leave it a few months and ring back.

Back