Octavia 05

S

Slim33

I am thinking of buying an 1.4 Octavia 05 ambient model, 30,000kms - approx €13.5K. Any thoughts ; resale value, car performance

Sounds like a very good deal my friend bought a 00 octavia 1.6 the end of last year for €6500.

They are a good car based on the VW passat same engine as far as I know they are also better value for money.

I'd look at a slightlylarger engine if I were you. A 1.4 in a car of that size and weight is likely to be gutless to say the least!

Had a a 1.4 Golf for a couple of years and it scared the bejaysus out of me on more than one ocassion when overtaking.

A 1.6 or 1.8 would be a better bet IMHO

Yes...go for a 1.6L. However, I have been looking for an 05 1.6L for months, there doesn't seem to be a lot on the market.

test drove the 1.4 and its completely lifeless, i'd recomend going the extra 4/5k and getting the 1.9TDI, i bought one 3 months ago and have been delighted so far

i'd recomend going the extra 4/5k and getting the 1.9TDI, i bought one 3 months ago and have been delighted so far

Hi, What would you want a 1.9TDI for on the M50 or town or in fact almost anywhere in Ireland. As far as needing it to overtake ,you should'nt have to overtake at speed unless you are playing chicken with an on-coming car.

horses for courses,

if you just need it for the occasional sunday drive then fine.
but if you have a commute to work (esp country roads)i would go for the diesel. other wise you will spend have your time driving on the RHS of the road (passing slower moving traffic) & the other half at the filling station.

there is plenty of threads disscussing petrol cars V's Diesal, but in my eyes the Octiva's body is to heavy for the 1.4 petrol engine

Hi SMDM, I'm incline to agree with you re 1.4 being a little light for the Octavia . Great boot though for the old golf gear

Hi, What would you want a 1.9TDI for on the M50 or town or in fact almost anywhere in Ireland. As far as needing it to overtake ,you should'nt have to overtake at speed unless you are playing chicken with an on-coming car.

If you've never overtaken anything before, that's fine. However if you have, and you worried if you would get past in time, not because it was dangerous - but because your car didn't have the oomph to do it quickly and SAFELY, then you'll appreciate the need to have power. Power is not the same as speed. Power is the ability to do things, ...such as go faster, but in the right hands it also leads to safer manoeuvres, especially if you have a full car sometime, for example with a load of kids in teh back. Wouldn't you like to be able to be more in control then!

Last edited:
The skoda has one of the highest rates of reoffenders, i.e. owners most likely to rebuy a skoda, that's usualy a good sign. Sounds an okay deal.

We run a 1.9Tdi 02' Skoda Octavia estate as a works car and have never had a moments problem with it mechanically even after 260,000km.

Since the vacuum pump sheared off the engine block of my 00' Golf IV yesterday, leaving me stranded in the middle of the road in a pool of oil, I'll be straight down the Skoda dealership first day after Easter with my checkbook in hand!

Incidentally. Any suggestions as to why the VWs vacuum pump would suddenly (and violently) choose to part company with the block?

Ask Skoda....they use the same parts.

Back to the original post...octavia is a great car and in terms of value for money they are hard to beat. My reservation is the same as the others who have answered your question...1.4 is too weak. Actually a 1.4L engine shouldn't be in any car bigger than a supermini...unless its the VW 1.4TSI

They are a good car based on the VW passat same engine as far as I know they are also better value for money.

You can't buy a 1.4 Passat thankfully. Even a 1.6 Passat is dangerously slow. Overtaking is scary.

Ask Skoda....they use the same parts.

Back to the original post...octavia is a great car and in terms of value for money they are hard to beat. My reservation is the same as the others who have answered your question...1.4 is too weak. Actually a 1.4L engine shouldn't be in any car bigger than a supermini...unless its the VW 1.4TSI

The super/turbocharged one? Clarkson thought it was rubbish.

Octavias, both the 98 - 05 model and the 05 - present model are based on the Golf platform, not the Passat platform.

In 1.4 guise the car would not be a great performer on the open road. If you are town based and do most driving in traffic I am sure it is perfectly adequate. If you do a bit of driving around the country then I would recommend the 1.6 as it will give you slightly more oomph.

Having said that I notice that most of the 05 cars on the second hand market are all 1.4 litres.

Back