O'Briens Sandwich Bar

Happy Girl

Was in O'Briens Sandwich Bar in Blanchardstown over the Christmas for a bit of shopping and myself, Mr. Happy and our two kids decided to have a bit of lunch in O'Briens which consisted of
2 kids meals (tuna sambos) with carton juice + bag of hot lips
I had regular chicken salad sambo and coffee
Mr. Happy had a chicken salad roll and coffee.

I was shocked when it all came to 26.10euro for what was basicallly a bit of lunch. I asked the girl if she could put the token handful of crisps to the side of the plate as they usually do but was told that O'Briens policy had changed on that and that they no longer did this. I would have to buy a bag of crisps separately if I wanted them. Is it me or is rip-off-ireland just getting worse.

To be perfectly honest, to me that sounds average enough for somewhere like this. You probably paid over €10 for the drinks alone.

€7.50 per head for lunch for 4 is not outlandish. You would pay similar in McDonalds.

Yep - I probably had the same stunned look on my face as you did the last time I went to an O'Briens (more than 6 months ago - so I would not rush back there)..... I had expected better value... so is the food great (no - would regard as just OK).... was is good value (no I would not regard it as good value having spend over €30 for 2 adults & 2 children (one a toddler).
.. and why not good value I hear you ask... because I can go to plenty of carvery's & get 2 full serving dinners, a childs half portion & a baby bowl for about the same price.
A few fancy sandwiches/wraps should not cost same as or more than a dinner.... but then that's just me!
ninsaga

4 sandwiches / rolls + 2 coffees + 2 cartons of juice?

Should be approx. 22 euro, i.e. 4 euro each for the sandwiches (to sit down), 1.50 each for the drinks

But in Ireland:

- with savage commercial rents squeezing many retailers
- plus people's willingness to pay
- plus other high costs

...result is higher prices.

I agree, a sandwich is a snack, a kind of tide you over until dinnertime kind of thing. McDonalds could be the same price but its considered a dinner.
the prices they charge are very high and I don't think its the norm.

I consider Garage deli sambos dear at between 3.50 and 5.00 so I deffo would be balking at having to anything near €7 or more.

If I'm about and about I'd rather pay the same for kfc or burger king and feel more satisfied.

Another place that is high for sandwiches (not freshly made ones either) is Costa Coffee. A muffin and cappochino in there is close to a tenner....

Another place that is high for sandwiches (not freshly made ones either) is Costa Coffee. A muffin and cappochino in there is close to a tenner....

At least they have the decency to warn you that it's going to "Costa packet"! ;)

Exactly a packed lunch wrapped up in the bread wrappers.

I used to get slagged at school because My mam was too either mean/conventional to use clingfilm/tin foil so my sambos would be wrapped in brennans bread wrapping.

sorry, nothing at all to do with the op, just thought I'd share.

I actually think Eddie Rockets is good value for money.

I was shocked when it all came to 26.10euro
Why were you shocked? Did they not have a price list up or did you just fail to check how much things would cost before making a purchase?
I asked the girl if she could put the token handful of crisps to the side of the plate as they usually do but was told that O'Briens policy had changed on that and that they no longer did this. I would have to buy a bag of crisps separately if I wanted them. Is it me or is rip-off-ireland just getting worse.
You mean you were ripped off because they wouldn't give you some free crisps? :confused:

Yep - I probably had the same stunned look on my face as you did the last time I went to an O'Briens (more than 6 months ago - so I would not rush back there)..... I had expected better value... so is the food great (no - would regard as just OK).... was is good value (no I would not regard it as good value having spend over €30 for 2 adults & 2 children (one a toddler).
As above - if you thought that €30+ for what was on offer why didn't you take your custom elsewhere?

I don't think you were ripped off. Dublin is very expensive!

I would eat lunch out two or three times a week and regularly with two of my kids. I would budget for between €5 and €6.50 for a sambo and coffee. Soft drinks and water can cost more than coffee. O'Briens are very competitive and standard across outlets is consistent, but, we would also use Cafe Sol where sambos can be just a little bit different. Brewbakers on South Frederick Street (off Nassua Street) is one of Dublin's best kept secrets. For what it's worth, our kids favourite was Graham O'Sullivans on Dawson Street, but, this was more expensive than O'Briens - probably one of the reasons that it closed a couple of months ago after many years. The Swedish Food Company is probably the best quality and value, but, they don't have many branches. The one in IFSC is very good, but, this is take-out only - Monday to Friday.

In fine weather, buy your drinks and sambos in M & S and eat in the Green! Dublin (high local overheads), unfortunately, is expensive when eating with kids!

I would budget for between €5 and €6.50 for a sambo and coffee.
Really!? A coffee (at least a Cappuccino/Latte) alone seems to cost anything from €2 (if you're very lucky) to €3+ around Dublin as far as I can see. I presume a "regular" filtered coffee must be about €2+?

Really!? A coffee (at least a Cappuccino/Latte) alone seems to cost anything from €2 (if you're very lucky) to €3+ around Dublin as far as I can see. I presume a "regular" filtered coffee must be about €2+?

Hi Clubman,

I find that a good Americano standard size coffee can cost from €1.80 (small outlet beside Harbourmaster in IFSC) to 2.50 (Butlers Cafe chain - smaller quantity, but, good quality - you pay extra for the free choc!). I don't drink Cappuccino's or Latte's.... I need the "kick" from real coffee! A lunchtime pitstop sambo can cost from €3.50 to €5.00 depending on the filling.

Why were you shocked? Did they not have a price list up or did you just fail to check how much things would cost before making a purchase?
You mean you were ripped off because they wouldn't give you some free crisps? :confused:

Used to think it was just me you tried to try to wind up with "sharp" and sarcastic responses to my posts. But guess what Clubman, one of my new year resolutions is not to give you either the pleasure or the satisfaction of rising to it- so a happy new year to you and may you have a very pleasant 2008:).

As above - if you thought that €30+ for what was on offer why didn't you take your custom elsewhere?

Well read the part of the post that says.........

.....the last time I went to an O'Briens (more than 6 months ago - so I would not rush back there).

... so yes I have actually been out for lunch a few times since then would you believe & have opted not to go to O'Briens... that answer your question?

Also I suppose that I am a bit naive thinking that having a few sandwiches for lunch wouldn't have cost so much!

Hi Clubman,

I find that a good Americano standard size coffee can cost from €1.80 (small outlet beside Harbourmaster in IFSC) to 2.50 (Butlers Cafe chain - smaller quantity, but, good quality - you pay extra for the free choc!). I don't drink Cappuccino's or Latte's.... I need the "kick" from real coffee! A lunchtime pitstop sambo can cost from €3.50 to €5.00 depending on the filling.

Butlerss Coffee, Grafton Street 2.70 for a cappuchino walk round the corner to Butlerss on Chatham Street and its 2.50………

Back