Obligations under a Will

TLC

My mothers house was left to myself & 2 other siblings - joint ownership. It is not lived in but visited quite regularly, my question is - what can be done about paying for the upkeep of the house? Work needs to be done fairly urgently, but 1 person won't contribute. There is also another problem about duties that were specified (although really quite vaguely in the will - personally I don't think the will was great to be honest & she didn't get great advice about the wording) in the will regarding another family member - she's in care & unable to look after herself but it was understood that she would continue to be included in family gatherings etc. This person does this on very rare occassions. Can any pressure be brought to bear, or is it a no win situation? Is there any conciliation service we might use as trying to discuss it with this person just leads to argument & no resolution?

It is not clear whether a Grant of Probate has been extracted. This will have to be done to give legal effect to the will. Really it is a matter for your solicitor. Is their agreement re what is to happen to the property?

Probate etc. granted a few years ago no problem there. The main problem is that one person will not contribute to the costs associated with work that really has to be done. It could end up that 2 owners pay for the costs & the other doesn't - joint ownership is turning into a sticky situation & when it's family it's a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

Would do (that would probably by my option) but the house is needed for [FONT=&quot]accommodation for another family member who is currently in care for weekends out etc. that's mentioned in the will but as I said one of the owners isn't living up to the requirements in the will. That's why I wondered if there was a mediation service available.
[/FONT]

Back