NY Broadway shows

Shopaholic

hi, i'm going to NYC in October and would like to take in a show, is it best to purchase tickets before I go or should I wait til we arrive in NYC? some of these shows (musicals are my preference) can be very expensive so just wondering what's more cost effective way of getting tickets?

if anyone knew any good websites to purchase them relatively cheap???

Be careful..there are lots of fake ticketing sites out there.

To get best value on the day, then there's a TKTS booth in Times Square. But as you suggest there are ways of pre-booking discounted seats. Playbill.com and Broadwayworld.com both do discounts but I find the best deals are usually on broadwaybox.com

Unfortunately there's no NY equivalent of TheatreMonkey to tell you what seats to avoid etc. My advice is to try and get discounted top price tickets, even if that's more expensive than the cheapest seats at full price. It's not worth travelling all that way and then missing out on some of the show cos of crappy seats.

Hi Shopoholic,

When we were there in 2011, we purchased tickets for the Lion King online through ticketmaster.com

On the day we went up and collected the tickets from the box office. Was very straight forward for us. I assume for other shows you can select collect at box office.

There is also a kiosk in Times Square that seel tickets for shows on that day at reduced prices but you are at the whim of what shows are on the board and the queue of people there.

Back