Best Buy NVIDIA Shield TV Pro vs QLED/OLED Smart TV with Dolby Atmos

TestLink

My LG TV is smart but non android based. It is 8 years old, but still working fine. I have a soundbar (JBL BAR 1300 - https://uk.jbl.com/soundbars/JBLBAR1300BLKUK.html) with Dolby Atmos capability. I am currently running all my android apps including IPTV apps, on an Android TV Box.

My question is how would you compare NVIDIA Shield TV Pro 2019 with a new Android based Smart TV with Dolby Atmos sound + Vision.

Any advantage in buying a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (which is currently 220 euro) if I am going for a QLED/OLED Smart TV with Google TV or Android TV option, on both of which I can install android apps.

Any new version of NVIDIA Shield TV Pro going to come out soon?

I am not a game player but like movies and music. Any advice welcome.

I have a similar set up to you - LG C2, and Sonos Beam.

I've had the Shield Pro 2019 for a few years now and if it broke I'd go straight out and buy a new one tomorrow. Pound for pound it's the best tech investment I've ever made. I don't know how it compares to newer boxes, but it's head and shoulders above everything I tried before I got it (various boxes, various chrome casts, even a Raspberry Pi). It has never let me down. The fact that it's still selling at it's original rrp after five years says a lot.

I believe there's no plans to launch a new one. But I'm not sure how the current one can be improved on.

One flaw is the latest version of Google TV which it runs by default. This serves you ads, which I can't abide, but you can install third party launchers (without rooting or other faffing) to avoid this.

And you'll probably also want to set it up as a Plex Server, which entails a moderate degree of faffing.

So yeah, two thumbs up from me.

[Edit] And it (and most good quality android boxes) will always beat a smart TV. Even if you're just streaming Netflix, Disney, etc. the interface and speed will be far superior to what your TV can achieve. And it can play locally stored files (procured through entirely legal channels) which your will TV struggle with.

Last edited:
Android tvs tend to use pretty rubbish hardware in terms of cpus and ram, a dedicated box will usually be better and the shield pro is the best still

Back