Number of open viewings?

Boyd

Hi,
Any idea of what is considered a "normal" number of open viewings on a house?
We put offer (we didn't specify a time limit on the offer) on property last Tuesday after the 3rd open viewing and haven't heard anything since, nor have we rang back. There was a fourth open viewing last Saturday, no increase in offers (that we have been told about anyway, with us having highest bid). There is a 5th open viewing coming up this weekend. First offer was 25k under asking, our offer is 10k under asking. I assume they are hoping more viewings=more offers to bring up to asking price.
How many open viewings is considered "normal" before we should be ringing back asking what is going on? It seems silly to contact EA when we know there is open viewing scheduled anyway, it only would show we are keen.

Thanks

You have put in an offer, now just sit back and wait, you will hear from them.

In the meantime look at some other properties.

But you want them to know you are keen, to take you seriously. Keep looking at other properties in the meantime but I would be inclined to call them and ask them where you stand in the bidding process and let them know you are looking at other houses.

We've just recently sale agreed our own house, the person who is buying attended all of our open viewings (we only had 4 total) which showed he was very interested and not a time waster.

When we bought back in the day we took any opportunity to have another look at the property, may be take some measurements, pictures, etc.
Sometimes sellers can be a bit particular with access one sale goes agreed or when things are close to closing.

If you think your offer is as good as they are likely to get for it in the short term, contact them and put a time limit on your offer. That may encourage them to take your offer rather than risk losing out if the hold on too much longer. Of course on the flip side, if they're still getting enough interest to hold these viewings, they may take that risk.

I rang back as John Doe innocently asking about status the process as unfortunately I'd missed the open viewing on Saturday. They said two offers came in at latest open viewing, one 7K under asking and then one bang on asking (sounds like this bidder tried to burn off competition by going up 7K and straight to asking price in first bid).
GF emailed back independently later in the day wondering what was the story with our offer and got immediate calk back with the same story. EA said there was no offer at 4th viewining, so seems there was some activity at 5th open viewing. House is now at asking and EA indicated they arent planning more open viewings and ready to move towards sale agreed.
We are happy to go up another 20K over asking (thats our walk away point), but are thinking to offer E1250 over asking initially, with a time limit of 2 days on said offer. What do ye think of this approach?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, it will go to the highest bidder in the end anyway, or to the one who can close the fastest if there were similar bids. People talk of all sorts of schemes and tactics on private sales but the only time I found anything to "sort of work" would be at a public auction and even then you'd need to be very, very, very, smart and used to the game.

Depends if you really want the house! I'd go in at 5k over current bid and see what happens, I've seen people lose out by going up in small 1k increments.

As noproblem mentions, at the end of the day, it depends on who is the more desirable buyer (FTB vs in a chain...cash buyer vs mortgage etc.)

We are happy to go up another 20K over asking (thats our walk away point), but are thinking to offer E1250 over asking initially, with a time limit of 2 days on said offer. What do ye think of this approach?

An increase of €1,250 is hardly a game changer. If you are willing to go €20k over asking, you seem to really want this house. If that is the case I suggest that you ask what offer they want to go sale agreed immediately.

The pain of thinking in future years that you paid say €10k more than you might have got it for is a lot less than the pain of not getting the house you wanted for the sake of €10k.

Having said that are there any other houses in the picture.

Back