NTL in bedroom upstairs - same channels as downstairs

Paulsgirl

Hi,

We currently have NTL downstairs and would like to have it in our bedroom. We had an electrican put a point in each bedroom and we can receive basic analogue NTL channels upstairs.

But we would like to have the same channels upstairs as we currently have downstairs.

We considered getting a transmitter but when we started looking, we were told that this would interfere with our wireless broadband.

We could get the multi room from NTL at €8.50 per month and €50 to install but I just would rather not have another bill every month, even if it is only €8.50.

Any suggestions would be great?

I assume you want to get ntl digital channels on the upstairs TV ? If so, then you would be limited to the digital channel selected downstairs, i.e. you wouldn't be able to change digital channels from upstairs, not would you be able to watch, say, BBC3, upstairs while a different digital channel was being watched downstairs.

Besides that, it is possible, though you would need to buy something like a VCR and get a lot of coaxial cable laid.

In summary.
- SCART OUT from ntl digital box to SCART IN on VCR,
- Coax (RF) OUT on VCR to coax cable running from downstairs to upstairs TV

My advice ? Pay the money to get a second ntl box upstairs. Way less hassle in long-run.

Also, FWIW, IMHO TV in the bedroom is a no-no.

Ok, thanks for that. May just go for the multi room.

We already have a TV in the bedroom but don't watch it much. Really only want this to fininsh off watching a programme that may run late and rather than sitting downstairs, we can be upstairs getting stuff done.

Paulsgirl, we have NTL digital downstairs and in our bedroom upstairs and it doesn't cost that much more over the normal bill, and what it does cost we totally think is worth it ;) Love being able to watch TV in bed :D

M

Thanks Spartan,

We asked about the above product in Maplins and were told it would interfere with our wireless internet.

When I go in to the Help/FAQ's on your link, there is a question in there:
"Q- Will the signal interfere with wireless broadband? - Bilal Hakim
Answer- There is the potential for wireless interference i am afraid."

So this wouldn't work for us I'm afraid.

Thanks Spartan,

We asked about the above product in Maplins and were told it would interfere with our wireless internet.

When I go in to the Help/FAQ's on your link, there is a question in there:
"Q- Will the signal interfere with wireless broadband? - Bilal Hakim
Answer- There is the potential for wireless interference i am afraid."

So this wouldn't work for us I'm afraid.

To avoid interference with your wireless broadband you need to get a 5.8GHz video sender. I had a 2.4GHz one at first (like the one in the link above) and when I had the wireless BB on it played havoc with the tv picture. But when I switched to a 5.8GHz one I never had a problem again.

[broken link removed]

That's the one I bought and it is simple and effective. Works fine with my ntl remote too, so I can change channels in the bedroom. I got it in Maplins in Dublin.

Hope this helps.

Back