Not giving Tenant back full deposit

Bit confused as to how the rent was €500 in arrears if your ex-tenant was getting rent allowance....

Not all authorities pay the LL direct. Sometime a tenant doesn't pass it all over to the LL. The tenant can be late or behind with their portion of it.

Not all authorities pay the LL direct. Sometime a tenant doesn't pass it all over to the LL. The tenant can be late or behind with their portion of it.

I think that's mad. Surely RA should be paid in full to the landlord into a bank account.

I think that's mad. Surely RA should be paid in full to the landlord into a bank account.

+1 Emeralds. The tenant could quite easily get the RA and then disappear leaving the landlord high and dry...which could be indicative of the OP problem

I am sure there are 100's of landlords who have been left high and dry with no rent paid from RA tenants. Why is the system like this? Plus it also means that those landlords are much easier to keep track of from a Revenue point of view - as in the State will know how much has been paid to them and how much should be returned in income tax from that rental.

I got a letter from SDCC that the house was being inspected under the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 1993 - 2009.

This means SDCC will be inspecting your property to ensure that it meets Minimum Standards for Rented Properties.

They will be looking at elements of the property such as general structural condition, ventilation, fire safety,sanitary fittings, heating facilities, refuse facilities, lighting etc.

Make sure you have provided a fire blanket in the kitchen and that the smoke alarms are mains wired or the 10 year self contained battery type (the old 9 volt battery type are now obselete) as these are common areas where properties fail to meet the Regulations.

I am sure there are 100's of landlords who have been left high and dry with no rent paid from RA tenants. Why is the system like this? Plus it also means that those landlords are much easier to keep track of from a Revenue point of view - as in the State will know how much has been paid to them and how much should be returned in income tax from that rental.

Who knows maybe because theres no resoruces assigned to fix it, and/or the cost is more than the return. The state doesn't have to cover the losses of private LL providing the service. So thats a non issue for the State.

Maybe its lack of will to fix it.

The principle behind this is that it gives the tenant some responsibility in paying the rent.

However, even if the RA was paid directly to the landlord, if the tenant, for what ever reason has duped the Social welfare or fraudulently claimed, the social will ask the landlord for the return of all monies so obtained.

If you are making a claim to the PRTB, you should list it as due rent of €500 + whatever damages. The claim will probably go nowhere and even if it does, you'll find it hard to collect. But at least you will have your details on record (I actually emailed the details on a similar situation & said I was not pursuing at this time but to please keep a note with the Residence Account. I got an email back just stating they have received and noted my email).

It is worth getting onto the housing officer or community welfare officer also so you can advise that the money which was issued to the tenant was not used for it's intended purposed (i.e.- rent). However, these days it is impossible to get to speak to the CWO directly!! If nothing else, it will going on the tenants file.

Spend about half an hour writing the above & then forget about it and move on as you will probably never see a penny. But keep all the photos and receipts just in case they decide they are going to pursue you!

The principle behind this is that it gives the tenant some responsibility in paying the rent.

However, even if the RA was paid directly to the landlord, if the tenant, for what ever reason has duped the Social welfare or fraudulently claimed, the social will ask the landlord for the return of all monies so obtained.

Can't get my head around that.

Back