Northernmost DART station park and ride

Slim

Hi

I need to visit Dublin for one day next month. Rather than stay overnight the previous night I am thinking of driving to the northernmost DART station and commuting in to Tara Street and reversing the route in the evening. Some questions (as I find the website unclear):
1. Is the Howth the northernmost station?
2. Is there secure parking there?
3. Cost of parking for the day?
4. Any better suggestions, i.e. park at airport and take the air coach or airlink?
5. How much would the DART ticket return for the day be?

Thanks, Slim.

Howth is the original northern DART terminus. Don't drive to Howth to commute into Tara Street, its out of your way as Howth is a cul de sac.

Depending on where exactly you are driving from, get a commuter train from any rail station from Dundalk to Donabate, or any Dart from Malahide.

If you're coming to Dublin via M1, park at Whitehall church and get a bus into the city centre. Parking is free and several bus routes pass that way.
I use this option regularly.

Howth is the original northern DART terminus. Don't drive to Howth to commute into Tara Street, its out of your way as Howth is a cul de sac.

Depending on where exactly you are driving from, get a commuter train from any rail station from Dundalk to Donabate, or any Dart from Malahide.

Thanks. I see what you mean about Howth. I'm trying to avoid changing train so how far north can I get the train direct to Tara St?

If you're coming to Dublin via M1, park at Whitehall church and get a bus into the city centre. Parking is free and several bus routes pass that way.
I use this option regularly.

Thanks Gipimann. I'm trying to avoid the early morning traffic into Dublin on M1, but that would be a good option if I was lucky with traffic.

Thanks all who posted. It has really helped. Slim

Hi Slim, where in the city are you going ? Is saving money or time a bigger priority ?

You don't need to change trains if you're travelling from Howth to Tara st.

Thanks, yeah, I knew that but I want to get on the train as far north as possible and not change to get to Tara St. Previous poster has pointed out that Howth would not be as convenient as, say, Malahide.

Hi Slim, where in the city are you going ? Is saving money or time a bigger priority ?

I think I don't want to spend a night in Dublin hotel. Going to Dame Street, College Green area.

depending on the cost of staying malahide overnight - dont rule out using one of the commuter towns.. both balbriggan & maynooth, for example, have trains every 30mins or so in the morning & evening that take less than an hour into town and most dont need you to change at connolly

check that irishrail.ie homepage for times (the search results also show if you need to change trains)

Thanks all.

I think it only works for me if I drive to Malahide and get the DART from there at 8.07 or 8.25. The mainline trains are too slow/time consuming for my available time. Thanks again.

Why Tara Street? Mainline train to Pearse and walk from there could also be considered, it is not much further frankly and it gets over the need to change trains. As for the time it would take, DARTs will be slower than mainline trains.

Slim. It would be much quicker to park in swords and get the swords express straight into Tara street. [broken link removed]
The service is brilliant at rush hour.

Why Tara Street? Mainline train to Pearse and walk from there could also be considered, it is not much further frankly and it gets over the need to change trains. As for the time it would take, DARTs will be slower than mainline trains.

Perhaps so but the set times don't suit me. The DART seems to allow me to arrive at a D station later and get into the city centre by 9.00.

Back