Non-resident Saver-Exempt from DIRT

O

Oneworld

I work in ROI but live across border in north. My pay is in euro and I save with AIB. Ive been told by them I will be exempt from DIRT after savings of 12,000Euro. Can anyone clarify if this is correct as I cant find info on this.
Also, after looking at Best buy thread, Im looking at An Post Savings Bond for 3 years for 12,000euro, however if the DIRT exemption still applies as Im non-resident, is An Post the best 3 year savings option for me? Thanks.

Firstly, I have never heard of a 12,000 EUR rule.

Generally, non resident accounts, are exempt from DIRT. Have you checked with the Revenue to see if you are classified as non resident? If you work in the ROI, you might not be classified as non resident.

If the Revenue confirm that you are non resident, then you need to declare your interest income in the ROI to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. Also, if you are non resident, are you eligible to open a state savings account with An Post?

The highest 3 year rate, if DIRT is not an issue, is with Nationwide UK.

[broken link removed]
3 Years 3.60%
Note: €3,000 minimum

Thanks Fungus, you explained it in very simple and clear terms. I guess I have to declare the interest earned either in DIRT or to Her over the water! Will need to get the 12,000EURO clarified with AIB. I downloaded application form for AnPost Savings a/c. They have a note on form to non-residents that photographic i.d is required, but will soon find out...
As a PAYE employee I am planning on saving in ROI in the long-term, and hope to buy a property here, so probably best to pay DIRT.

You must have 25,000 euro to escape paying dirt on savings as a non redident

I wasn't aware of the 25,000 euro amount to avoid paying DIRT. I can't see a reference to this on revenue.ie. Maybe I'm missing something.

Back