Non-resident landlord in 2012 - do I have to submit a tax return this year?

Eanair

Hi - I'm a non-resident landlord since January this year. Do I have to submit a Form 11 (was working in UK all of last year, so no earnings in Ireland, but paying my mortgage)?

My letting agent is hanging on the withholding tax for me each month but I can't seem to work out from the Revenue site how I make a preliminary return for 2012 - can anyone advise please?

You don't have to submit a tax return yet. Rental income is in the calendar year basis and done for the prior year so 2012 rental income is due in 2013. It would be easier for you to pay some prelim now but its difficult to work this out without knowing the figures.

Thanks Viztopia! At least I'll have the money put aside for next year and have put a reminder in my diary so that I can get it done earlier and online.

Thanks again.

+1. No worries for this year. Make sure you maintain good records of all income and expenditure on your rental income (including the 12.5% per annum allowable for depreciation on contents). Keep records of all bills (insurance, repairs, etc. ) which are also tax-deductable. Make a note in your calendar for 2013 that you must pay prelim tax on this unearned income by 31st October 2013 (for the year 2012).

Back