Non resident for tax purposes question

gimp

Hypothetical someone may be able to answer

If one was to leave ireland and become non resident for tax purposes and move to another country but still have income from Ireland, only small income from Permanent health insurance and SW Pension do you have to pay income tax on this in ireland or in country of residence

It depends on the country you are moving to.

For example, if you are moving to the UK, you will be liable for tax in both countries but you will get relief in the UK for any tax you have paid in ROI.

If you are moving to Dubai, you will pay tax on your Irish income in Ireland but you will not be liable for tax in Dubai.

Either way you will still pay your tax in Ireland.

I have a very similar question so thought better not start a new thread. I have read through many other threads on here too.
I am working in Ireland for an Irish company, but they are letting me work for a year or two from my wife's home in Japan due to a family illness. I will stay a full time employee of the Irish company(who have no offices in Japan).
They are leaving my payroll/tax status as it is currently stands, but should I be declaring to the Japanese authorities that I will be working in Japan? Will I be liable for city/residence tax in Japan?
I have read the revenue page, Article 2, section 1, part Biii, but can't understand it:

The taxes which are the subject of this Convention are:
  1. in Ireland:
    1. the income tax (including sur-tax), and
    2. the corporation profits tax;
  2. in Japan:
    1. the income tax,
    2. the corporation tax, and
    3. the local inhabitant taxes.

To be honest, I doubt that you will find someone here who will be able to advise you on the Japanese tax system. You need to speak to a Japanese tax advisor about your liability arising there.

In fact, your employer could have some Japanese withholding tax obligations, as you are working in Japan, and they need to look into this matter. They may also need to look at employment law in Japan, as this is very likely to have different rules, and they need to ensure that they are complying with these, to ensure that you get the rights that you are entitled to.

This is a very complex situation, and you need to seek professional advice, as does your employer.

www.taxingtimes.ie

anyone aware of a requirement that in the year after you leave - you must pay SI & PRSI etc on your income in ireland - so u earn 50000 in 2010, leave for another country - ireland demands you pay full RSI etc on 50000 in 2011. what is this about

anyone aware of a requirement that in the year after you leave - you must pay SI & PRSI etc on your income in ireland - so u earn 50000 in 2010, leave for another country - ireland demands you pay full RSI etc on 50000 in 2011. what is this about

:confused:

I've never heard of anything like this... but your post is very sketchy on details... can you give a bit more detail on what you're talking about? You've used the terms SI, PRSI, and RSI in your post - so can you clarify what exactly is being demanded? And when you say "Ireland demands", who are you talking about (i.e. Revenue) - how, and where are they making this demand, if the person is no longer resident?

If you are non resident but on a temporary assignment - then I understand that you MUST pay for the first 52 weeks and after that you can be a "voluntary contributor" to Social I

If you are non resident but on a temporary assignment - then I understand that you MUST pay for the first 52 weeks and after that you can be a "voluntary contributor" to Social Inurance - though I understand that that "voluntary" aspect may be mandatory before long

Back