Non registration of properties, will the PRTB be proactive in finding these?

flattea2

Myself and spouse moved out of our apartment (PPR) to rent a house due to expanding family. We rented our apartment out (would have sold but would owe the bank a fortune). We have done it the right way – registered with PRTB, keeping invoices, maintain a simple spreadsheet to work out eventual tax liability etc.

I have now discovered that the house we are renting is not registered with the PRTB (agent at the time assured me it was). On further inspection of the register, a very close relative whom I know has rented out a house in Dublin for years is not registered either.

I guess it just makes me mad as I am trying to do things the right way. Landlord actually said he’s putting the rent up in November which ignited my ire more! As it happens we are moving in the New Year so I’m not going to fall out with Landlord in the meantime.

I’d like to think that the PRTB will catch up will all these people however does anyone think this is likely? Surely the revenue have a role to play as well.

Don't read too much into the published register, it has been shown in the past to be incomplete and still may well be.

If you have concerns on this, why not directly ask the landlord or the agent?

Personally I reckon that eventually Revenue will make a pet project of this, as they have with the one-man-band companies at present.

There are two issues here as I see it.
1 there are landlords that are not declaring rental income in their tax returns, allowing the tenant to claim a tax credit flushed out a number of these but they still exist. They will never register willingly with the PTRB.
2 landlords who declare rental income but don't register with the PTRB but tick the box to say they are registered and claim mortgage interest relief.
I think if Revenue stopped allowing people to backdate registration after filing an incorrect tax return it might focus attention.

I think if Revenue stopped allowing people to backdate registration after filing an incorrect tax return it might focus attention.

How can they do this? The Residential Tenancies Act legislation doesn't forbid backdated PRTB registrations. Revenue have no responsibility for PRTB registration procedures & policy.

The whole PRTB v Revenue interest deduction thing is an ass anyway -an petty exercise in pointless bureaucracy introduced by the most farsighted and wonderful of all Ministers for Finance, Brian Cowen.

Back