No TV so No Licence but still getting final demand notices

Seems to me they make the assumption that everyone needs to pay it unless you sign a declaration you don't watch TV.

Even then they still visit and continue to hound people.

Many simply pay to end the hassle.

Its from the earlier act.

The wireless telegraphy piece is an ammendment to the existing Wireless Telegraphy acts and primarily relates the shipping/aviation comms systems and excludes what is classed under the Broadcasting Act as a 'television set'.

The requirement to hold a TV licence for any apparatus classed as a 'television set' is dealt with separately under the act.

Where it excludes a 'television set'

Or where the 2009 take precedence if that's the right word.

Part 13 deals specifically with Wireless Telegraphy. Section 180 specifies the previous Wireless Telegraphy and Broadcasting (Offences) Acts that Part 13 applies to. The Next two sections state the changes and the sections of the above acts these changes apply to. It includes:
A person who keeps, has in his or her possession, installs, maintains, works or uses any apparatus (other than a television set) in contravention of this section commits an offence and is liable...

TV licencing is covered under Part 9, only that section is relevant here.

That bit doesn't define what an apparatus is though, but does mention it. So I have to assume the earlier act where its defined is the legal definition for an apparatus. Though in section 143 it states

(3) On the passing of this Act section 5 of the Act of 1926 does not apply to television sets.

Which was the bit I was looking for. So in summary any commuter (or smart phone for that matter) is considered a TV. So a student or anyone with a computer that doesn't use it for TV and doesn't have a TV can be asked for a TV licence. I know a few people who don't have a TV, and just use a monitor and a computer to watch movies and streamed content from the web. Some I know use their mobile or tablet for the same thing. The only way you can get out of it, is to sign something to say you don't watch TV.

Apparatus isn't called out under the act, so just goes by the dictionary definition of the term.

That's what I was getting at, the reporting at the times said the wording was deliberately chosen so effectively anyone with a PC, smartphone, etc., would be forced to pay.

Are you televisions visible from the front windows etc? The inspector has to see the televisions and speak to someone. If there is nothing visible from outside and there is no one there, I would not bother until you returned to Ireland.

If you can pick up any stations you are liable. The thing is they will back date your licence if you decide to leave it until you return, so there may be no advantage in renewing late.

I no longer have television in my home due to financial difficulties. I could not afford the TV Licence nor could I afford to keep a TV channel package.

I keep getting final demand letters about the licence.

Any idea please what the procedure is to 'prove' I don't have a TV when the licence person comes knocking?

I used to write back to them. J Brady was the name on the end of their letters.

Eventually they sent someone out. I told him on the doorstep that I'd no TV. He said "grand". That was it. No biggie.

I've just e-mailed the appropriate TV Licence office to tell them I won't have a TV as of the renewal date on the notice. I assume that's fair notice, and can be used as evidence that I told them (especially if I get reply).

I've just e-mailed the appropriate TV Licence office to tell them I won't have a TV as of the renewal date on the notice. I assume that's fair notice, and can be used as evidence that I told them (especially if I get reply).

Hi dub_nerd. Just wondering if you have heard back from them? I have been having terrible trouble trying to prove to them I don't have a TV but they won't revisit the premises to check.

I used to write back to them. J Brady was the name on the end of their letters.

Eventually they sent someone out. I told him on the doorstep that I'd no TV. He said "grand". That was it. No biggie.

Hi Draigean, how did you manage to get someone to call out? I have been having terrible trouble trying to get them out. Originally the inspector said I had a TV when all I said was I watch TV on the Internet. Since then I have had letters of legal proceedings and now threatening with a summons to court. I have asked them numerous times to get the inspector to call out and see for themselves that I don't have a TV set that can access TV stations. Did J Brady get back to you and help?

I have asked them numerous times to get the inspector to call out and see for themselves that I don't have a TV set that can access TV stations.

If you do get them to call, make sure there are no aerials, satellite dishes, cable TV connections, etc. present. Also, if you have any kind of recognised TV set, even if it currently does not work, or is not connected to a aerial, cable or satellite, you must still have a licence, even if it is broken. Similarly, make sure any computer present does not have any connections for cable/aerial/satellite.

It'll all be immaterial when the broadcasting charge comes in in place of the TV licence, probably by the end of this year.

Back