No TAIN supplied, are Revenue unimpressed?

Hummingbird1

I am self-employed and and as my business is very straightforward (i.e. invoicing, getting paid promptly, usual expenses e.g. car, stationary, I.T. etc), I do my tax return through ROS and do not employ an accountant and consequently leave the TAIN details area blank on my Form 11.
Has anyone had experience of Revenue taking a particular view of this situation vs. where a TAIN is provided. I recall reading an article in The Sunday Times some years back where UK Inland Revenue staff were quoted as seeing such people who did not have advisors as soft targets for an audit. While I would have no fears in relation to being audited, I would not like to think that our Revenue would take such a view.
I would not advise any business to operate without professional advice but with the nature of my business and the fact that there is an enormous amount of help on revenue.ie (and indeed on this website), I have decided to save the yearly cost of an accountant.

I submit returns for Mrs Joe1234, without a TAIN, and so far it hasn't caused a problem.

Back