no space for wheelie bins, its driving me crazy!

Could you use a sink waste disposal unit to remove the need for a Brown bin and manually recycle the rest?

Many councils prohibit the use of under sink food macerators/food grinders for processing and discharging waste food to the drainage system.

They are also water intensive so would prove potentially costly with water charges.

Thanks so much for the advice. Ill look into bringing the recycling somewhere but I reckon it could end up with us not having time to drive wherever it is and heaps of rubbish building up in the kitchen!
You'd be surprised just how organised you could get this. I recycle practically everything. Flatten out cardboard/paper packaging, tetrapaks, etc. Get into the habit of flattening our plastic bottles (biggest problem with recycling plastics being the space it takes up). Some of the recycling centres are excellent and will take practically everything so long as you have everything separated.

we wouldn't have so much of it if every single thing wasn't wrapped it totally unnecessary packaging.
Would be great if something could be done about this. So much unnecessary packaging with a view to pimping the product and no consideration for disposal (not to mention the time, energy and resources that went into making the unnecessary packaging to begin with).

Can you not bring packaging waste back to the supermarket when you are doing your next shop.
Are they not obliged to take the packaging back?

A belief that they cause blockages in the sewerage system, increase the processing complexity for waste water and require more clean water to be produced so that food waste can be washed down the sink.

In a household the quantity going through the grinder would probably be small but in a restaurant, it is easy to see how it would cause issues.

Waste disposal units discussed here previously. With water charges on the way, I don't think they'll be getting any more popular.

Back