no second key for a second hand car

K

kumar_aqua

Hello,

I am very new to Ireland just arrived a month back.

I recently purchased a car from a garage in Dublin. When it was time to drive away, I realised that the garage had only one key for the car. They told me that the previous owner lost a key and that was how it was available for the sale. They mentioned "it’s normal that second hand cars have only one key".

I am a little concerned. If I lose the car and the insurance might not really pay up the claim since I just had one key to start with (it could mean that the second key is with someone who probably knows the car too). Any experiences in this regard? Or is there a way to force the garage to change all the locks?

Waiting for some comments.

Regards
Kumar

I don't think it's usual but it's not entirely rare either. I very much doubt the garage would change the locks. I don't remember seeing any specific reference by insurers to a car only having one key.

Unless it's a very valuable/desirable car I wouldn't be overly worried about security.

Yes, my main concern would be what happens if you lose the only key you have.
In most cases it should be possible to get a second key cut, at a main dealer, but this may cost €200/300 so should be factored into the selling price.

Yes, my main concern would be what happens if you lose the only key you have.
In most cases it should be possible to get a second key cut, at a main dealer, but this may cost €200/300 so should be factored into the selling price.

If you bring it to a locksmith they can make a new key for a lot less, but it wont have the remote control on it.. But if its only a spare its a cheaper option. I got one for my car for 90 euro if i remember correctly...

When selling my last two cars, one privately, one traded in, both times the buyers were shocked that I still had the 2 keys. When viewing 2nd hand cars, I did get in the habit of asking about how many keys, as once or twice they only had keys cut / no remote locker, even though the car was set up for central locking.

It seems to be the norm now.

For the last two cars I bought there was only one key, the funny thing is the garage was quite indignant that my last trade in had only one key but a few minutes later they sheepishly handed me over only one key also. There is a locksmiths on Capel street who cut them, its quite far down on the left hand side as you are moving away from the Liffey, I think they are quite reasonable.

If you bring it to a locksmith they can make a new key for a lot less, but it wont have the remote control on it.. But if its only a spare its a cheaper option. I got one for my car for 90 euro if i remember correctly...
I'm open to correction, and it probably depends on the car/model also, but I believe there can also be an imobiliser chip on the key (which needs to be programmed by the garage) as well as the remote.

When I bought my car earlier in the year they were very inistent on getting two keys for my trade in. I tracked down the spare and handed that over. They, however, did not provide me with a spare key and given that a replacement would cost approx. €500 euro, I insisted. I was fobbed of with stories that the previous owner hadn't handed it in, suffered a recent close berevement (which I discovered later was actually true) but my husband got really firm with the show room and insisted that as he was buying the car from them, it was they who had to provide the spare.

We got it....eventually. I'd insist on two keys for a central locking car.

Just getting in ahead of any recommendation for the key cutters on North Frederick Street.

I got a Focus immobilizer key for €90, but it didn't work (not even on the doors) and I never got around to returning it (the place is only open 9-5 Mon-Fri).

Maybe I was just unlucky. I was told they do immobilizer keys for all the garages and prices start at €39 depending on the model.

Just getting in ahead of any recommendation for the key cutters on North Frederick Street.

I got a Focus immobilizer key for €90, but it didn't work (not even on the doors) and I never got around to returning it (the place is only open 9-5 Mon-Fri).

Maybe I was just unlucky. I was told they do immobilizer keys for all the garages and prices start at €39 depending on the model.
Even the best service providers will always make a mistake. I think it's a little unfair to criticise someone on a public forum without having first given them the opportunity to make right the situation.

Back