No refund or credit on hotel voucher

oldtimer

Recently received a €50 gift voucher for a hotel. Today wife and myself called there for lunch, total price €25. Presented voucher expecting the credit to be reduced to €25 for use another day. However told no refund or credit allowed on voucher - must be spent in full. True enough the terms and conditions written in very small print state this. Is this normal practice?

Worked in Hotel for a bit and standard practise is we would re issue another voucher for the balance remaining. was it a paper voucher or a plastic gift card with a 16 digit number on the back?

Yes, paid in cash - holding voucher for another day. Will have to bring a friend and partner to use it up in one go. It was a manually filled out gift voucher and, yes, I thought the amount would be just altered to amount remaining.

bad form from the hotel,in this kind of climate you would think they would be trying to encourage repeat customers. id say drop the hotel a quick note with your feedback and see what their reply is. if they have any common sense they will offer to look after you. dont forget that your voucher never expires they only put the expires by part so people wont hang on them for years

thanks Jackreacher. I did argue with the hotel but got a couldn't care less attitude. They were not for turning. I note your comment regarding the expiry date. I am running out of time with it - states expiry date is 13th December 2008. Doesn't even give me scope to use over christmas. I would say if I present this voucher after 13th December they will refuse to accept it.

Brilliant idea Bob. Will ring hotel to-morrow and try. The terms and conditions on the voucher are (must get out magnified glass to read them) - ''This voucher may NOT be exchanged for cash and MUST be used in full, no change or credit can be given for unused portions of this voucher. This voucher CANNOT be exchanged for smaller denominations.''

Back