No property Authority document after 2 years

holaquetal

Hi all,

I bought an apartment 2 years ago in Dublin. Transaction was smooth and solicitor did his job. I'm paying mortgage since. I am not Irish and I would expect a document from the property registration office stating that I own the place (at least this is the way it's done in my country, correct me if I am wrong if things don't work this way in Ireland). I asked solicitor and told me that he filed form 17 to the Property Registration Authority. He sent me copy of the form and told me that authority normally produces the document after at least a year. It's been 2 years now. I asked my solicitor a few months back and told me he would follow up with the authority. My solicitor hasn't been very responsive since, despite my repeated attempts to know why the document is being delayed so much.

I am starting to get worried about not having that document after 2 years, especially after the solicitor acting on behalf of management company told me that they haven't been able to find my property details in the property authority.

Can someone please clarify the following?

1. Is that normal that it takes that long for the document to be produced?
2. Should I be worried about my solicitor not being very responsive on this matter and the fact details of the property have not been found by the other solicitor?
3. What would you advise as next step?

Thank you!

"1. Is that normal that it takes that long for the document to be produced?"

It is not that unusual - some registrations take longer than others, some up to 4/5 years.
The Form 17 will have a Dealing Number Reference on it and you could call in to the Property Registration Authority and ask about it? You should be able to find out the status of the Dealing - as in what is happening to your paperwork and when will you be registered as the owner.

"2. Should I be worried about my solicitor not being very responsive on this matter and the fact details of the property have not been found by the other solicitor?"

Its not hard for him to tell you the status of the dealing - most solicitors pay to have access to the Property Registration Authority website. And a simple search will throw up the status. Of course, if you have no faith in the solicitor, you might prefer to contact the Property Registration Authority directly.

See this link:

http://www.prai.ie/land-registry-services/

"3. What would you advise as next step?"

Don't panic and make your own enquiries.

mf

The recruitment embargo has taken its toll on staff numbers, and the net result is delays.
It will be done, but will take time, unfortunately.
You can call to check the status using the reference, and if it becomes genuinely urgent to get it done, they will do their best to facilitate you.

Back